The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What can you tell me about Backwater Reptiles?

This is a discussion on What can you tell me about Backwater Reptiles? within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I was looking to get a few newts from them, but wanted to get opinions and testimonials from others here ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Autumncrossing
  • 1 Post By AquaticEngineer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AquaticEngineer has shown reliable knowledge
Default What can you tell me about Backwater Reptiles?

I was looking to get a few newts from them, but wanted to get opinions and testimonials from others here on the site. I only found 1 so I thought I would ask.

AquaticEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Autumncrossing has started on the right path
Default Re: What can you tell me about Backwater Reptiles?

I bought 3 Notopthalmus V. from them a few months ago and they are doing fantastic! They are all super healthy and eating great... the only negative thing I could say about the newts i received was that they were a little bit skinny (but that;s compared to my fat wild caught newt.) and they accidentally gave me a peninsular newt instead? The newts arrived on time, packaged nicely and labeled as live animals. I definitely recommend them.

Autumncrossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014   #3 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

I'm not disagreeing with Autumncrossing but I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube saying the opposite.

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014   #4 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAfFa CaKe View Post
plenty of videos on YouTube saying the opposite.
I believe I watched a video about someone who ordered a tortoise from them, the website saying they were in stock, then he got an email saying they were about after he payed, waited a while and received a WC Eastern Newt instead.
Personally I wouldn't buy animals from them, I would personally find some CB or look into a different specie that is readily available CB.

Old 26th September 2014   #5 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

Yeah, Aaron, I've seen that one. I've seen another when they sent a women an ill snake...

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: jimmies1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Private breeders are the best. U never know what you are getting. Also parasites and disease from a place like that.

jimmies1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Autumncrossing has started on the right path

It's true I might have just gotten lucky, and I definitely agree with the others captive bred is always better!

Autumncrossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AquaticEngineer has shown reliable knowledge

Good to hear from a few other folks here about them :)

I had been wanting to buy some of their Rough Skin Newts (Taricha granulosa) that they have advertised here: Rough Skinned Newt for Sale and set up a separate breeding colony from my Oregon natives that I keep.

I sent them an email inquiry to make sure they could provide me with information about their chain of custody and point of origin and they never responded. From what I have read online they are based out of California, and last I checked it was still illegal to sell native newts in California (not illegal to collect for your own use, but illegal for commercial ventures).

AquaticEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: ChristineB has shown reliable knowledgeChristineB has shown reliable knowledge

Chiming in on this old thread because I recently dealt with this company. They are based in Florida with locations in California and Texas. I tried to order two axolotls and they had no restriction disclaimer about shipping anywhere on the axolotl page. My payment went through, got my confirmation, then on the day they were to ship they contacted me that they couldn't ship axolotls to my state (California) and offered a replacement or full refund. Customer service was very friendly and personable, and prompt except for the obvious oversight in not catching that my location was an issue when I put in my shipping address!! I do think they should put a prominent disclaimer about not shipping to CA, since 10% of Americans live here and it's really not common knowledge except to newt enthusiasts.

Based on these testimonials and my experience, I would only order a captive-bred species from them, and only if I couldn't find a private breeder.

ChristineB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwater, backwaterreptiles

LinkBack