The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

An unsuspected guest

This is a discussion on An unsuspected guest within the Anura: Frogs & Toads forums, part of the Other Amphibians category; The other day after it had stopped raining I went outside to look for earth worms, while I was looking ...

Anura: Frogs & Toads For discussion of frogs and toads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: gcollin has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default An unsuspected guest

The other day after it had stopped raining I went outside to look for earth worms, while I was looking along the shore line of a little stream, I found a bufos americanus I was happy to find a animal (I do not normally) so I picked him up, after I had picked him up I noticed his right was red, it appears to be half filled with blood (I am guessing it is blood because the volume of red fluid changes) besides the eyes problem, he has several gashes on his stomach, on of them is an open wound.
I brought him back to my house in the hope of I might be able to help him, he is curently in the same tank with my other toads (same species of toad). if you have any ideas on how I might be able to help him please do not hesitate to tell.

-Collin

gcollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: KennyDB has started on the right path
Default Re: An unsuspected guest

Why would you take the risc of putting a sic or hurt animal with your healthy ones? I would quarantain it and let him heal properly.

KennyDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: gcollin has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

He does not seem sick, just injured.

Old 8th August 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: katebutton has given consistently excellent advice and informationkatebutton has given consistently excellent advice and informationkatebutton has given consistently excellent advice and informationkatebutton has given consistently excellent advice and information

Putting an injured toad- whether it appears sick or not- in with your toads is irresponsible. I realize you're trying to help but sometimes you just need to let nature take its course instead of putting the toads you've already collected at risk. At the very least, if you're going to keep the injured one, you need to separate it regardless of if you think it's sick or not.

From your previous postings I realize you don't understand the importance of quarantining new animals- you should really consider this. Even if you have animals of the same species, it doesn't mean that newly caught animals can't introduce foreign pathogens or parasites.

katebutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Okay, I plan to put him in a separate tank tomorrow, once I have a free tank.

Tags
guest, unsuspected

LinkBack