The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Question about Native NW Oregon, USA frog species

This is a discussion on Question about Native NW Oregon, USA frog species within the Anura: Frogs & Toads forums, part of the Other Amphibians category; Can anyone tell me if it is legal to buy tadpoles and frogs that are native to my area for ...

Anura: Frogs & Toads For discussion of frogs and toads.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Zaddiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question about Native NW Oregon, USA frog species

Can anyone tell me if it is legal to buy tadpoles and frogs that are native to my area for the purpose of releasing them in my backyard pond? I don't want to introduce any non native species! If it is ok, where do I buy them? On eBay I only ever see southern species. And I h be been looking all spring...

Zaddiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Question about Native NW Oregon, USA frog species

I would contact the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, they probably have the answer. But if I was you I would just go catch some tadpoles from some other pond and put them in yours. That's what I did. I expect them to breed this next spring. Also I am wondering what species it is? If its R. aurora then they might not want to be in your pond anyway, as they seem pretty skittish to me, but you could try. If its P. regilla then that will most likely work. If its R. pretiosa then I cant really say for sure as I haven't ever found this species.

Good luck! :) -Seth

Old 20th May 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok thanks I'll try that! I think only the pacific chorus frog, will work here...
However, when I was younger I caught a couple northern leopard frogs only about ten blocks from here. But they were not even listed as inhabiting my area "Willamette Valley". But they might work also.

Old 20th May 2014   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I don't think any leopard frogs live in the Willamette valley. It might have been a Bullfrog that had patterning like a Leopard frog. Like this the one in the picture i attached. Good luck with the frogs! -Seth
Attached Thumbnails
Question about Native NW Oregon, USA frog species-201.jpg  

Old 21st May 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information

Defiantly a bull frog.

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok, you're right! It was not a leopard frog. But after going through hundreds of pictures I have determined it was not a bullfrog either. It was rana aurora! I found a pic that looks just like my old frog on herpwiki.com! I never connected the fact that my frog was pink with the rana aurora...ok to be honest I'd never heard of that species before this sight!

Old 21st May 2014   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddiegirl View Post
Ok, you're right! It was not a leopard frog. But after going through hundreds of pictures I have determined it was not a bullfrog either. It was rana aurora! I found a pic that looks just like my old frog on herpwiki.com! I never connected the fact that my frog was pink with the rana aurora...ok to be honest I'd never heard of that species before this sight!
Ok haha, glad you figured it out. Also I am glad its not a bullfrog, those things are extremely invasive and would not be good to introduce into you pond. That might spread them and lead to more native amphibians declines - Oregon spotted frogs have already had serious population declines in part because of bullfrogs. But R. aurora are fine

Good luck!

Old 22nd May 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AquaticEngineer has shown reliable knowledge

I have a been getting Pacific Treefrog tadpoles from all of my neighbors ponds and rearing them out in the my own backyard setup for my kids to watch :)

What part of Oregon are you in? I'm just out side of Clackamas and I find plenty of Pacific Treefrogs and even found a pair of Northern Red Legged frogs (protected so they stayed put) on one of the creeks nearby.

I keep a few adult frogs inside for the kids to watch and I'm hoping they will mate indoors

AquaticEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack