The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What frog/ toads sound good and loud

This is a discussion on What frog/ toads sound good and loud within the General Discussion and Identification forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I'm new to keeping frogs but looking for species that will sing loudly and very often I would appreciate and ...

General Discussion and Identification Not sure what you've got or seen? Ask here.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By sde
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By rachel1
  • 1 Post By joshfrogz72
  • 1 Post By caleb
  • 1 Post By FrogEyes
  • 1 Post By otolith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Axotolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What frog/ toads sound good and loud

I'm new to keeping frogs but looking for species that will sing loudly and very often I would appreciate and advise!

Axotolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What frog/ toads sound good and loud

Haha!!! I have never heard such a request! I don't know if they will sing often, but Bullfrogs are really loud. Look for a video on YouTube of them calling and you will see. Though they don't sound particularly nice....

Old 15th January 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Bullfrogs are loud, but from personal experience keeping them....just don't! They are extremely skittish and often leap blindly into the glass when even remotely alarmed. Mine lived in a huge five foot aquarium which wasn't really big enough for the two of them. They will often fight over the best spots to sit and then there's the noise, someone described it as sounding like a constipated cow and I think that's pretty accurate!

Fire bellied toads are a nice species to keep. They do call once established and happy and they are active in the daytime so you can watch them going about their business instead of having something that hides all day or stays inactive in a corner.
Hope this helps.:)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information

Dart frogs are fun and diurnal also. Not nearly as loud as a bullfrog, but they are gorgeous and some species have a lovely call. Phyllobates Vittatus, P. terribilis, and Dendrobates leucomelas are some species with a louder call. They do take a bit to reach maturity, so if you get juvies it could be a few months to a year before they are old enough to call.

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: joshfrogz72 is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a great dart frog for beginers called e. anthonyi. when young there brown with greenish stripes, but when they get older they turn cherry red with yellow stripes and when mature the males call alot its loud and quite beuatiful like a canary. they also breed easily too at least in my opinion, i have had my trio for a year and half now and they have given me about 30 froglets, and counting

joshfrogz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Some tree frogs (Hyla) are very loud, and will call throughout the year. I have heard H. meridionalis from more than half a mile away. I've been tempted to keep H. arborea in the past, but have always decided against it because of the noise.

H. versicolor is supposedly one of the louder north American species.

One tropical frog has been described as having a call like 'an outboard motor in a biscuit tin'- can't remember which one it was, though.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

European Pelophylax species are very loud, but I think they'd be quite hard to find for sale in the USA.

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Although the OP isn't in the USA. European import to Canada can be far cheaper and easier than USA import to Canada, due to the plethora of US red tape.

The best bet is probably reed or poison frogs, which might call more or less all year. For the most part, only male frogs call, and then mainly when breeding. Consequently, most frogs are silent most of the time. That might be just as well, since there's no shortage of frogs you wouldn't want to listen to. Kaloula pulchra, for instance, sounds like a rather loud cow...at 3am. The voices of many can be identified by their names: sheep, bull, bird-voice, carpenter, chorus, peeper, barking, bubbling, etc. On the whole, poison frogs have voices which are not terribly loud or abrasive, and the suggestions above might be among your best options

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogEyes View Post
Although the OP isn't in the USA. European import to Canada can be far cheaper and easier than USA import to Canada, due to the plethora of US red tape.

The best bet is probably reed or poison frogs, which might call more or less all year. For the most part, only male frogs call, and then mainly when breeding. Consequently, most frogs are silent most of the time. That might be just as well, since there's no shortage of frogs you wouldn't want to listen to. Kaloula pulchra, for instance, sounds like a rather loud cow...at 3am. The voices of many can be identified by their names: sheep, bull, bird-voice, carpenter, chorus, peeper, barking, bubbling, etc. On the whole, poison frogs have voices which are not terribly loud or abrasive, and the suggestions above might be among your best options
Oops, I missed that. My iPad does this thing where it moves things around on websites, which can make it quite confusing!
Reed frogs and dart frogs are good suggestions, they are small and colourful with nice calls - and there's so many species of dart frog to choose from, so I'm sure you'd find a species you like.

Stuart

Old 17th January 2015   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I would suggest Grey Tree frogs (Hyla versicolor), often available CB and easy to keep. Their breeding calls are hilarious and adorable. Im also a big fan of toads; American and Woodhouse toads both make great pets and will call quite often in the spring.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

You could also go for some kind of fire bellied toad, but they only call in the summer not the entire year. I aggree with Otoliths, I think Gray Tree frogs would be a great idea, they're a really nice species, easy to care for and have a nice call which they emit for many months of the year. I wish this species was available more in the UK as I'd love to have a little breeding group!

Stuart

Old 16th November 2015   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: pygmycory is an unknown quantity at this point

What about quiet frogs? My landlady objects to frogs on grounds of the noise. Are there any quiet, diurnal frogs that don't do their calling at night?

pygmycory is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack