The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Green frog survival without water/food - Writing question

This is a discussion on Green frog survival without water/food - Writing question within the General Discussion and Identification forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hello, I joined this forum because I'm a fiction writer and a frog character features heavily in the series I'm ...

General Discussion and Identification Not sure what you've got or seen? Ask here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By michaelgrace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MeganM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green frog survival without water/food - Writing question

Hello,

I joined this forum because I'm a fiction writer and a frog character features heavily in the series I'm writing, so I'm hoping you won't mind if I pop in and ask a strange question from time to time. A couple of years ago, I asked here about frogs and alcohol, and the book in which the frog character absorbs some alcohol has now been published. That one is the first in a series, and I'm now writing the third in the series, which is a retelling of the fairy tale The Frog Prince.

Here are my current questions:

How long can a green frog survive without access to water? I have found multiple conflicting answers on the Internet, and am wondering if anyone here knows for sure or can make a good educated guess.

What about survival time without access to food? I have read that it's much longer because the frog can hibernate to conserve energy, so how long might a frog go without food before its body determined that hibernation was the best bet?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

MeganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Green frog survival without water/food - Writing question

Welcome back!
I don't think there is a definitive answer to either question really, it depends on the frog and the circumstances. In a cold damp environment typical frogs will become very inactive and require little food. As temperatures rise the frog will become more active and need more food to fuel that activity. While ever the frog can stay damp, it will need very little actual water, but in a warm dry environment the frog will dessicate very quickly without a water body to soak in.
All a bit general I'm afraid, but maybe that means more possibility in a story?
Hope this helps. :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MeganM is an unknown quantity at this point

It does help, thank you, Chinadog. It sounds like I can threaten the character more urgently in a hot and dry environment, but otherwise survival is flexible, which means the story can be too. Much appreciated.

MeganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge

Hi i have read in mn the frogs freeze solid. They stop breathing and there hart stops betting but they ar still alive. They do this for about six months

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canecorsonewt View Post
Hi i have read in mn the frogs freeze solid. They stop breathing and there hart stops betting but they ar still alive. They do this for about six months
Some species can, most frogs will be a frogcicle if you try this

Old 29th June 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Here's a bit more info on the freezing frogs.

Antifreeze-Like Blood Lets Frogs Freeze and Thaw With Winter's Whims

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 141
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canecorsonewt View Post
I think you're thinking of the Wood frog (Lithobates sylvaticus)

Old 3rd October 2016   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Rep: michaelgrace is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't heard that frog in winters can live with less water or food. Every animal whether it is related to land or water requires proper food for living. So I am not satisfied with the solution that in winters frogs require less food.

michaelgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016   #9 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 141
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If kept from hibernating in the winter, frogs will need the same amount of food and water they usually do. If trying to hibernate though, you aren't supposed to feed them for a tiny bit before hand, so they don't have any remains of food in their system before it starts to decay while their systems are "shut down" during hibernation

Last edited by Sith the turtle; 3rd October 2016 at 15:31. Reason: Added a bit more
Sith the turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack