The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

ID on tree frog ?

This is a discussion on ID on tree frog ? within the General Discussion and Identification forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi We have these Frogs in our backyard.Could someone ID him please, as I would like to put his photo ...

General Discussion and Identification Not sure what you've got or seen? Ask here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: 2os4sds has started on the right path
Default ID on tree frog ?

Hi We have these Frogs in our backyard.Could someone ID him please, as I would like to put his photo in the Gallery in the right section .Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
ID on tree frog ?-frog-2.jpg   ID on tree frog ?-frog-1.jpg  
2os4sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: Socrates has shown reliable knowledgeSocrates has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: ID on tree frog ?

White's Tree Frog (Litoria Caerulea).
Old 1st April 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Thumbs up Re: ID on tree frog ?

Yes, it's a White's Tree Frog - also known as the "Dumpy" frog to some. We have one as a pet - eats crickets, active at night when he goes swimming. He's fun to me as I'm the only one awake late at night cleaning the kitchen! His vivarium is between the kitchen and family room.

Dana
vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

It's funny that something that we consider an "exotic" pet here you just find hopping around your back yard. I'll third the I.D.

Alex
Old 2nd April 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: 2os4sds has started on the right path

Thank you for your help everyone .Yes it's always good to see them out and about.
2os4sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: vistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgvistajpdf is a mainstay of Caudata.org

[quote=tylototriton;184977]It's funny that something that we consider an "exotic" pet here you just find hopping around your back yard. I'll third the I.D.

Yes, it is! Mine put me back $20 a year ago and they probably snagged him out of original poster's neighborhood. He's got it pretty good, though, here as he is pampered in his large vivarium w/ a waterfall, a pond, plants and trees and all the crickets he could eat....I got him at the same "pet store" I got my newts - before I found this board and got educated on WC amphibians...

Dana
vistajpdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and information

It is possible it could also be Litoria splendida, the magnificent or splendid treefrog depending where in Australia this picture was taken.
FYI Litoria caerulea is known as the green treefrog in Australia. Every herpetologist I have met that has ever worked in Australia is quick to correct me when I use the term "White's treefrog".

Tags
frog, tree