The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Frogs and Alcohol - Writing Question

This is a discussion on Frogs and Alcohol - Writing Question within the General Discussion and Identification forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hello, I joined this forum because I'm a fiction writer and a frog character features heavily in the series I'm ...

General Discussion and Identification Not sure what you've got or seen? Ask here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sergé

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MeganM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frogs and Alcohol - Writing Question

Hello,

I joined this forum because I'm a fiction writer and a frog character features heavily in the series I'm writing, so I'm hoping you won't mind if I pop in and ask a strange question from time to time. Here's the first:

If a frog were to drink/absorb alcohol (wine, a gulp or two) would that kill it? Would it anesthetize it? Would the frog go stumbling about drunkenly? I've searched for an answer to this question and can't find one. Probably because it's not the type of thing people generally go around testing. Still, I thought I'd ask in case anyone has ideas. (Don't worry, I'm not killing any frogs, even fictionally - it's a fairy tale story.)

Also, do frogs ever drink through the mouth, or are all liquids absorbed through the skin?

MeganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: sergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Frogs and Alcohol - Writing Question

I think it will die, slowly...but depending on the percentage. In museums they are stored in 70-80% alcohol so wiskey and wodka will kill them fast.But I never tried...

And they never drink actively through their mouth as their skin is permeable they can easier catch up water thorugh their skin. Toads and tree frogs can do this to a lesser extent as their skin is thicker to prevent them from drying out, but they have thinner skin between their hind legs where they can take up water with just by sitting in the water.

sergé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you for your reply! That is all very helpful.

Old 27th October 2013   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yah I definitely think that it would kill it. Well it depends on the species. If a bullfrog did it might not because bullfrogs are super immune to stuff and are super tuff ( no rime intended. ) -Seth

sde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks, Seth!

LinkBack