The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

American Bullfrogs in Europe

This is a discussion on American Bullfrogs in Europe within the Ranidae: True Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I have recently seen some albino American Bullfrogs for sale in Europe. The supplier told me that they are ok, ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By caleb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: outdoorvivaria has shown reliable knowledge
Default American Bullfrogs in Europe

I have recently seen some albino American Bullfrogs for sale in Europe.

The supplier told me that they are ok, legally, because they are albino?

Can somebody point me to the law regarding this species?

Are they ok because of their colour?

Is it ok to trade in European born animals?

Is anyone on here, in Europe, breeding this species?

I dont have the room for them at them moment but I would consider expanding to have a pair of these as long as it was all legit!

outdoorvivaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: American Bullfrogs in Europe

As I understand it, its illegal to import Bullfrogs or their eggs into the UK so I would imagine its the same in Europe. Actually owning them or trading captive bred ones should be ok though.
What I will say about Bullfrogs is think very carefully before you acquire any. I kept two adult females that I raised from the tadpoles they used to sell in pet shops and they were a nightmare. They are very skittish and easily startled, mine had a huge 5'x2'x2' aquarium which wasn't really big enough to stop them from sometimes hitting the sides and they would also regularly fight each other for the best places to sit. On top of that there's the noise they make, mine were females but it was still like having an angry cow in my room, goodness knows what male ones sound like!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11
Default Re: American Bullfrogs in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
As I understand it, its illegal to import Bullfrogs or their eggs into the UK so I would imagine its the same in Europe
It's illegal to import bullfrogs into the EU under EC regulation 2551/97:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...7R2551&from=EN

But as far as I know, it's not illegal to move them from one country to another inside the EU (including the UK).

There are no laws against keeping or trading them in the UK- I don't know anything about the situation in other European countries.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack