The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Are northern leopard frogs still about?

This is a discussion on Are northern leopard frogs still about? within the Ranidae: True Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I still feel mortified after all these years about my experience of these frogs. When I first left school, in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Are northern leopard frogs still about?

I still feel mortified after all these years about my experience of these frogs. When I first left school, in the late 70s, I had a temporary job as a trainee technician at the local university. The students got to dissect northern leopard frogs as part of their zoology course. We are talking about 120+ students! Each year the place would order in hundreds of live northern leopard frogs. I knew those which were left over would be dealt with so I used to smuggle them home but they refused to feed and often had injuries (particularly to the snout) or picked up bacterial infections which spread rapidly due to the high density in which they had been kept. These frogs were probably the reason I got into amphibians in the first place.

I remember how crowded they were and kept in the cold room to keep them inactive that way they didn't need feeding. How absolutely disgraceful and immoral is that? Times have changed and we should recognise that even if legislation can get in the way some time. When the supply eventually dried up (I say supply and not legislation) they moved onto xenopus.
Over the years I have always kept an eye open to see if these wonderful frogs are ever about in the UK. Does anyone know if they are?
Thank you.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack