The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

What should i do?

This is a discussion on What should i do? within the Ranidae: True Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I am currently raising some tadpoles of common frogs and toads, they are now morphing, what should i feed them ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2006   #1 (permalink)
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am currently raising some tadpoles of common frogs and toads, they are now morphing, what should i feed them at this stage?
What i mean is as tadpoles i fed them fish flakes which they lve and thrive on, but now their mouths are changing shape and soon they will no longer be able to suck, so what can i feed them when they are still in the water but are half morphed? should i hand feed them? they don't catch prey under water so what shall i do?

Sarah
Old 25th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
christopher

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I dont know!!!!! why dont you ask mark or Jennifer Macke!!!!!!
Old 25th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They don't feed at this stage so don't offer anything until they get out of the water.
Old 26th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Joseph is correct. Start offering live insects to them when the tail has been totally absorbed. Depending on thier size, you may want to try flightless fruitflies or small crickets. Don't forget you will need to use a vitamin/mineral supplement.

Ed
Old 26th May 2006   #5 (permalink)
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ok thank you, i now have 1 froglet and one 'toadlet' lol they are coming out of the water but still have a full tail, really cute!Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th September 2006   #6 (permalink)
reid

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Frog and tadpole pellets are good because both frogs and tadpoles eat them.
Old 19th September 2006   #7 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Typically only frogs like Xenopus will consume pellets as most species (other than the exceptions like Xenopus, and Pipa,) do not recognize them as a food item.
The frogs and toads in question would not eat pellets as a starter food as they will not recognize them.

Also Reid, please look at the last posted date in a thred, you are responding to a post from May...

Ed
Old 19th September 2006   #8 (permalink)
reid

Gallery Images:
Comments:

OOPS!

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 17th April 2014, 13:21 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.