The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?

This is a discussion on Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog? within the Ranidae: True Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; So the other day I was on the road by my house, herding frogs across the street and such and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 28
Rep: EasternNewtLove has shown reliable knowledge
Default Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?

So the other day I was on the road by my house, herding frogs across the street and such and I found some frogs. Two of which were hit but survived. One was just stunned and was released yesterday after recovering. The other one had a blood filled eye, and a sprained/strained leg. Its not broken because he can still move the whole thing. The eye has drained of the blood mostly but it looks like the eye is swollen (is that possible?) or popped out a bit. I think its probably swollen because the whole eye looks bigger than the other from above. He's very sluggish. The third frog I took was this piebald looking one. I'm not sure how else to describe him. Any ideas on how to treat the injured one and what the strange one is? The strange one is in a bit of a shadow because otherwise the flash drowned out his strange gold flecks.
Attached Thumbnails
Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?-dsc_0714.jpg   Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?-dsc_0716.jpg   Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?-dsc_0719.jpg   Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?-piebald.jpg  

EasternNewtLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Injured Bullfrog and Piebald Green Frog?

Any ideas?

Old 13th August 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Has it shown any signs of improvement? Is it eating?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've been feeding Phoenix worms for their high calcium. The first night I tried feeding, she had to be force fed. That jump started her appetite an she's eating them on her own with a little difficulty of course. The eye is less swelled, but it looked weird. Idk how to describe it but it is looking better. Any ideas on the frog with the weird pattern?

Old 14th August 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Oh and the leg is moving better now and not so awkwardly.

Old 17th August 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: asfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and information

My guess on the piebald colored one is a wood frog (Rana sylvatica) but I don't know for certain. The ridges down the back are very characteristic of the Rana family.

Good luck with the frogs I hope they make a full recovery

Old 20th August 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfouts View Post
My guess on the piebald colored one is a wood frog (Rana sylvatica) but I don't know for certain. The ridges down the back are very characteristic of the Rana family.

Good luck with the frogs I hope they make a full recovery
Thank you! One of them has recovered and has been release. The other one will be released in the next couple of days. So do you think it's piebald? The other thin you can't see in the picture is it has green around the mouth do That rules out the wood frog. It's really an all aroun beautiful specimen so if I can get a video of her to show off all he strange patterns I will!

Old 21st August 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: asfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and information

From what I've read green hues around the mouth are common while the rest of the body is usually a brown variant and they also usually have a mask around the eyes. I am not sure whether your specimen is piebald or not, but it is beautiful.

I also have no hands on experience with these frogs, and parts of the description I took out of the "amphibians and reptiles of north america" field guide by the national audobahn society.

I remember Jeff Corwin talking about these guys haha. They can survive when 60% of their body water is frozen... Anyway im getting off topic

Old 21st August 2012   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Looks like a green frog, L.clamitans/L.melanotus. I think the color may be unusual, but "normal". The proportions and eye positions don't look right for a wood frog.

Dorsolateral ridges, BTW, are present in many families of frog, and absent in many ranids (such as bullfrogs). They are present in both wood and green frogs.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Im sure that juvenile green frogs (Rana clamitans) can be mistaken for wood frogs (Rana sylvatica) but what it boils down to is key traits for that species

Rana sylvatica- dark eye mask and smaller tympanum with incomplete webbing between the hind toes

Rana clamitans- large defined tympanum with complete webbing except the outer toe which is partially webbed

The eye mask is going to be the biggest clue as to which it is, from an aerial point of view it is a complete toss up between the two species.

Source: "Amphibians of the pacific northwest" seattle audubon society (this one gives a little more of a description)

I should have worded my sentance differently in a former post. I used the dorsalateral ridges as a starting point to thumb through the rana family. I know it is not an exclusive nor an inclusive trait of Rana.

Old 25th August 2012   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Juvenile green frogs are not likely to be confused with wood frogs, or they shouldn't be. The eyes are set differently, the head is shaped differently, and viewed from above they are quite different. The colors and patterns are radically different. That's a green frog. Wood frogs have more lateral eyes, a more..."equal" head shape, and a color which is bronze/copper or shades of brown, with a black face mask. There is basically no noticeable overlap in color between the two species. In addition, even juvenile green frogs are larger than all but giant wood frogs. I've seen a couple wood frogs of perhaps three inches, but most are more like 1.5". Green frogs often transform at 1.5-2".

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack