The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pyxicephalus adspersus breeding attempt

This is a discussion on Pyxicephalus adspersus breeding attempt within the Ranidae: True Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Well my little guys and galls are finally not so little anymore. I am going to try and make a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Willlis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Willlis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and information
Default Pyxicephalus adspersus breeding attempt

Well my little guys and galls are finally not so little anymore. I am going to try and make a breeding attempt with my 2.2 pyxicephalus adspersus. I tried them once before a few years ago with some different animals but accidentally dried out the females too much in aestivation. This time I will keep things just a little damper and hope for the best. During my last attempt I did have a male show breeding colors and call but he had nothing to breed with.
The plan:
-Put 2.2 pyxicephalus adspersus in a sterilite tub with a 50/50 mixture of ecoearth and sand.
-Wait until they all dig down in the substrate.
-Move the aestivation cage from the lizard room at 72-75 F to the cold part of the basement 60-55 F.
- Check on them weekly for 2-3 months
- If all is well place the aestivation cage inside of a breeding cage, basically a tank with some water, and run a rain bar over them for a couple of days hopefully bringing them back out and into the water to party.

Here is a picture of the group getting ready to take their big nap.
Click the image to open in full size.

Willlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Roygbiv has started on the right path
Default Re: Pyxicephalus adspersus breeding attempt

SOOOO what happend, did it work?

Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Pyxicephalus adspersus breeding attempt

The poster hasn't been on this site since may 2014.

LinkBack