The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bufo Debilis

This is a discussion on Bufo Debilis within the Bufonidae: True Toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I recently just bought this toad from general exotics and i love it already but it seems as tho its ...

Bufonidae: True Toads For the discussion of true toads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jjgordon24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bufo Debilis

I recently just bought this toad from general exotics and i love it already but it seems as tho its really stressed. it tends to hit the glass alot and pace back and forth against it like its trying to get out. any tips to keep the stress down? i have an american toad in the same tank and they get along fine.

jjgordon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: tmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and informationtmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and informationtmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and informationtmarmoratus has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Bufo Debilis

If the toad seems stressed, then how do you know it is getting along fine with the American toad?

How big is the tank? Are there sufficient hide spots?

Mixing these two species might work, though you are taking a risk that foreign pathogens (or toxins) from one of the toads could cause an illness in the other. Size disparity between the two species could also be an issue; American toads can get significantly larger than B. debilis.

tmarmoratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jjgordon24 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i have seen the debilis next to the american toad and they dont seem to be scared of each other. then i notice that the debilis randomly tries to climb out and starts to hit the glass but it seems unrelated to the american toad. i could take the american toad out for a day and see what happens but i dnt think thats the issue. i have a 20 gallon tank and i have alot of moss and two logs to hide under, two live plants, and a fake plant

jjgordon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: joshfrogz72 is an unknown quantity at this point

western green toads dont like it to moist, they seem to like it more on the dry side, they can be a little skittish when they are new and need to get use to there new home. i have 4 of them and they are fine they need hiding spots. the american toads gets alot bigger then them i would try to put them seperate and see how that works. the western green toads do hide alot and come out when its feeding time. and when you say looks stressed out what is he doing?

joshfrogz72 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack