The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bufo marmorata

This is a discussion on Bufo marmorata within the Bufonidae: True Toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Is anybody familiar with Bufo marmorata. I couldn't find anything on AmphibiaWeg and google gave a couple of useless search ...

Bufonidae: True Toads For the discussion of true toads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2011   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Bufo marmorata

Is anybody familiar with Bufo marmorata. I couldn't find anything on AmphibiaWeg and google gave a couple of useless search reslults. They suppose to come from Suriname. A couple of shops offer them, including:

Google Images

I'm really curious about this mysterious specie.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Bufo marmorata

I'm thinking of a Rhinella specie. Here some pics of our animals:

Click the image to open in full size.

Arquivos de Zoologia - Taxonomic revision of Rhinella granulosa species group (Amphibia, Anura, Bufonidae), with a description of a new species

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Old 19th September 2011   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

'marmorata' is wrong- as 'Bufo' is masculine, it should be 'marmoratus'.

Bufo marmoratus is apparently a synonym of Bufo marmoreus/ Incilius marmoreus, and also of Hyla marmorata/ Dendropsophus marmoratus...
Amphibian Species of the World
Amphibian Species of the World

One of which is a toad that does not occur in Surinam; the other does occur in Surinam, but is a treefrog.

It does look like a Rhinella.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Thanks for your reply. I've been "investigating" this matter, because I'm really curious what kind of species this is.

I've discovered that the name "B. marmorata" doesn't exsist at all. I've seen diffirent shops offering this so called B. marmorata in The Netherlands, Germany, US and (I believe) Poland. Most shops claim they're from Suriname.

The toads aren't Bufo marmoreus or Hyla marmorata. If it were true that they're really from Suriname then it could be Rhinella (granulosus) humboldti or R.(g) merianae. According to AmphibiaWeb they should be called Bufo humboldti/meriane and I've also seen the names R. humboldti/merianae. In any case they're part of the Rhinella complex.

I haven't found any pictures of B. merianae, but there's a picture of humboldti:

iNaturalist.org Rhinella humboldti, observed by cesarlba on July 22, 2010

and some information about the Rhinella complex

http://www.revistasusp.sibi.usp.br/s...pt=sci_arttext

Too bad I haven't found more pictures. I've send a request for help to AmphibiaWeb.

Old 29th September 2011   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

I've got a mail of a Brazilian scientist Patricia Narvaes, who wrote the article about the Rhinella granulosus complex. She is trying to identify the frog with help of the pictures I've sent. I'm very gratefull of course and I hope she can give an answer.

Old 13th October 2011   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

I got my answer! It must be Rhinella/Bufo humboldti. Joy!

LinkBack