The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Howdy from our 4th grade classroom

This is a discussion on Howdy from our 4th grade classroom within the Bufonidae: True Toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; My students collected and brought to school several gulf coast toads over the fall semester. I have taken them home ...

Bufonidae: True Toads For the discussion of true toads.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gulfcoasttoad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: gulfcoasttoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Howdy from our 4th grade classroom

My students collected and brought to school several gulf coast toads over the fall semester. I have taken them home in an attempt to hibernate/brumate them, as we would love to host a successful breeding this spring here in South Texas.

The 5 toads are being housed in a 40 gallon long tank with plenty of space to burrow and hide. I fed them very well until it began to get below 40F outside, when I stopped feeding and moved the tank to a room in our house that is usually pretty cool (probably low 60s) and turned the light off. The tank is next to a window, so I'm hoping the natural light cycles will help them decide to slow down.

The toads dug down and hid for a few weeks, but now they're back up, huddling together, and looking at me! They've been this way for a couple days now. We still have another month of "winter," if you can call it that in Texas. Should I continue to withhold food and warm temps?

gulfcoasttoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:

Help!

Old 4th February 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Howdy from our 4th grade classroom

This website may help, look at the texas toads and the Great pLains toads sections(click "english", then "species"), which have similar biology.

Echte Kröten (Bufonidae), Gattung Bufo

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Really comprehensive information there, Chris--thanks for that. We'll start small and slow.

Old 10th February 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Rep: nwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Good luck! I cannot help but smile and laugh at the visual of a bunch of little toads, huddled together and staring at you with big, black eyes. That must have gotten a bit of a laugh out of you!

nwmnnaturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

No need to visualize--here they are in living color!

Click the image to open in full size.

LinkBack