The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sexing A. cognatus/Great plains toad

This is a discussion on Sexing A. cognatus/Great plains toad within the Bufonidae: True Toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi all I have a group of Anaxyrus/Bufo cognatus and am quite stumped as to sexing them. four of them ...

Bufonidae: True Toads For the discussion of true toads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2012   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Sexing A. cognatus/Great plains toad

Hi all

I have a group of Anaxyrus/Bufo cognatus and am quite stumped as to sexing them. four of them are between 6.5 and 7.5cm long, one is smaller at about 5.5cm. They have recently warmed up from around 15 to 20C and have become more active. The small animal has taken to making odd chuckling calls and chasing after others trying to amplex them, so I assume that one is a male. One of the larger 4 looks like it has an extra baggy throat, although it has never called, and I suspect that that is a vocal sack.However, the other three have left me clueless! What is the best thing to look for to sex them? How large are females usually (I can find only records of maximum sizes, which is not helpful)?

Any help would be appreciated

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 3
Rep: sallie2010 has started on the right path
Default Re: Sexing A. cognatus/Great plains toad

I am not sure if this is completely true but I read this some where and I have used this method. If you pick up the toad behind its forelegs placing your fingertips in the axillary. If the toad rumbles then it is male. The idea is toads cannot tell the sex just by looking at each other so when males mount other males the rumbling cues I am male.

I know the nuptial pads, these are small pads at the base of the toad's "thumb" is a dead give-away for sexing but if you don't know how to identify it or can't p/u your toads then this would be hard to do.

Old 20th March 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The problem is that both of these require toads to be in breeding condition.If a toad doesn't have nuptial pads and/or doesn't make a release call, it may just be a male out of season, rather than a female.

I think I will have to wait until next spring to see for some of mine. I didn't cool them very much this winter, but next winter they will go in a fridge down to 5-7C for a couple of months.

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
Old 20th March 2012   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
The problem is that both of these require toads to be in breeding condition.If a toad doesn't have nuptial pads and/or doesn't make a release call, it may just be a male out of season, rather than a female.

I think I will have to wait until next spring to see for some of mine. I didn't cool them very much this winter, but next winter they will go in a fridge down to 5-7C for a couple of months.

C
Simplest way is to take advantage of the size of the specimens. Adult females of breeding age are larger. (up to 155mm SVL) Males can be distinguished by the color of the gular sac.(generally up to 110SVL) In specimens from my area, all and only males have distinctive localized areas of black pigmentation I refer to as the ink spot. Even juvenile males exhibit this trait. This can vary greatly from just a "fuzzy dot" to an outright "splotch". (Like my scientific terms? )

Use of metatarsal tubercles can be difficult with this species in my opinion, as both males and females posses them to varying degree in my locale. Generally however, all males, no matter the age posses small, very black tubercles whereas females generally have large less pronounced and light colored tubercles.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks Johnny, I will look at that.

C

Old 16th April 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Zach42 has shown reliable knowledgeZach42 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post

C
I've had American and Fowler's toads do the release call all year.

Zach42 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack