The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Getting non feeding bufo viridis to eat

This is a discussion on Getting non feeding bufo viridis to eat within the Bufonidae: True Toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Basically 2 weeks ago, I bought 3x 1cm European Green Toadlets. 2 have been fantastic, the other was pretty thin, ...

Bufonidae: True Toads For the discussion of true toads.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Coastal Groovin
  • 1 Post By froggy
  • 1 Post By Drayvan
  • 2 Post By ajr104
  • 1 Post By ajr104

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Drayvan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting non feeding bufo viridis to eat

Basically 2 weeks ago, I bought 3x 1cm European Green Toadlets. 2 have been fantastic, the other was pretty thin, so i separated him, he shows nothing but fear towards food such as ff's and small crickets. he has eaten 3 calci worms and thats about it however he has passed about 5 poos so his digestive system is doing ok. Anyone got any tips on what i can do? Im getting hold of some rehydration fluid to see if that helps but any other tips would be great!

Drayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Getting non feeding bufo viridis to eat

You can try other food items like dwarf isopods or white worms but some morphs will always fail to thrive. It's just natures way.

Old 22nd September 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ajr104 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep offering him food but at the same time to not offer too much food, so not to bother him, and try not to interfere with him too much. This will eliminate stress. Unfortunately, some froglets/toadlets will not survive, it is sad but that is why these animals have lots of babies.

Did you get these from dartfrog? Do you have any pictures? I noticed they had some at the moment.

ajr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks both, iv tried him on bloodworms and daphnia today, which got him snapping at them a little but whether any were eaten im not sure...iv just left him with some more calci worms and a cricket or 2, will check on him later.

They were indeed from Dartfrog, and apart from the skinny one, they've been brilliant and healthy.

Heres the skinny one 2 days ago after he decided to eat 2 calci worms and put a little weight on, hes normally a fair amount skinnier, as he is now.
Click the image to open in full size.

And heres the 2 healthier ones, who I couldnt be happier with!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 24th September 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Managed to get the little fella to eat 2 crickets in the early hours of the morning sooo happy. Still going to be a struggle I think but its a great start. Any more tips greatly appreciated!

Old 25th September 2012   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Give the toads a basking lamp. This species basks a lot and will do a lot better, particularly as toadlets, when provided with a basking site. You can use a normal incandescent bulb to provide temperatures of around 25C in the hottest spot (they will use hotter, but for small toads a slightly cooler temp will prevent problems of getting too dry), with a cooler end at the other end of the tank.You will be suprised by how much time they spend under the bulb and how much more the feed and grow with access to it. Just make sure that the cool end of the tank is kept moist and a water dish in placed there, too.

UVB light may also be beneficial, which should be provided at the hot end of the tank so that they are exposed while basking.

Also, be careful with calciworms; lots of toads I have fed them to pass them undigested, so they don't get any nutrients or energy from them.

Good luck

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
Give the toads a basking lamp. This species basks a lot and will do a lot better, particularly as toadlets, when provided with a basking site. You can use a normal incandescent bulb to provide temperatures of around 25C in the hottest spot (they will use hotter, but for small toads a slightly cooler temp will prevent problems of getting too dry), with a cooler end at the other end of the tank.You will be suprised by how much time they spend under the bulb and how much more the feed and grow with access to it. Just make sure that the cool end of the tank is kept moist and a water dish in placed there, too.

UVB light may also be beneficial, which should be provided at the hot end of the tank so that they are exposed while basking.

Also, be careful with calciworms; lots of toads I have fed them to pass them undigested, so they don't get any nutrients or energy from them.

Good luck

C
Thanks :) will give that a go. Tonight has been the 3rd night in a row that he has eaten so im over the moon he's on the mend, hopefully the bulbs will be a good boost for him too. Incase any one is wondering or having similar problems, hes taking bean weevils and crickets at the moment. Thankfully he went off the calci worms.. really didnt like the idea of him having those as a staple!

Old 26th September 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Great news, probably just took some time to settle, not unusual but always worrying as they loose weight quick and put it back on slowly! Taken me s few months to get weight on my baby H.arborea (also from dartfrog, all fairly skinny on arrival)

Old 27th September 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr104 View Post
Great news, probably just took some time to settle, not unusual but always worrying as they loose weight quick and put it back on slowly! Taken me s few months to get weight on my baby H.arborea (also from dartfrog, all fairly skinny on arrival)
It is indeed, when he went so skeletal i was really scared he wasnt going to pull back from it. But 4th night in a row hes eaten, got him on 2 feeds a day now hes taking them and has eaten 6 crickets during the day :) really putting some weight back on now!

I should think its fairly common with species that have such huge amounts of babies that some will get out competed by their siblings. Hope all your H.aborea are doing well now though :)

Old 27th September 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayvan View Post
Hope all your H.aborea are doing well now though :)
They are all fatties now! Just as well, cooling them down in the garage this winter, they may well hibernate if it gets cold enough in there so keeping their weight on will be important.

Old 16th April 2014   #11 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi, In addition to the fine suggestions offered, you may want to think about the substrate..not sure of ID, but seems to stick eassily to toads etc...blockaged not uncommon, even though they swallow soil etc in wild. Always good to vary diet; I favor wild caught insects (if care is taken)...found throughout my career that novel foods often get an enthusiastic response. Further ideas, suggestions here: Frog Diets - Nutritious Foods for Popularly-Kept Frogs and Toads best, Frank

findi is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack