The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Toads as Pets: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Owners

This is a discussion on Toads as Pets: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Owners within the Bufonidae: True Toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, ...

Bufonidae: True Toads For the discussion of true toads.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By xxianxx
  • 1 Post By findi
  • 1 Post By Stupot1610
  • 1 Post By Stupot1610

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2014   #1 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Toads as Pets: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Owners

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo. I’ve kept toads at home and in zoos for over 50 years, yet I remain enamored of even the most common local species. Others of my generation, be they herpetologists or hobbyists, feel the same…it’s hard to dislike a toad! As pets, toads are generally far more responsive and “aware” than are their frog cousins, and with proper care they may live into their 30’s and beyond. Perhaps because they “know” of the protection offered by powerful skin toxins, pets become quite bold, and readily feed from the hand…sounds odd, but their fearless attitudes remind me of another favorite but very different pet – the striped skunk! To date, 578 species of toads have been described (family Bufonidae), so I’m guessing that many readers will have their own “best pet” picks. Please be sure to post your choices below. Read the rest of this article here Pet Toads: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Pet Owners
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Toads as Pets: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Owners

I keep yellow bellied toads (B.variagata) they never fail to make me smile when I look at them, they are so comical and cute.

Old 9th October 2014   #3 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
I keep yellow bellied toads (B.variagata) they never fail to make me smile when I look at them, they are so comical and cute.

I wish they were available here...have not seen them in trade or zoos, but friends in UK feel as you do, thanks!

Old 9th October 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

I think some peoples over on FrogForum from the US keep and breed B. Variegata. I think somebody was recently talking about breeding albino ones. I'll have a look later and post the links if I can.

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

Here is the link to the albino ones: http://www.frogforum.net/fire-belly-...variegata.html
There were some other ones of the normal kind but, they were from a few years ago (and I lost the links and couldn't find them again.) though, if you could find them asking the person who was selling if they have some for sale now wouldn't hurt. Good luck in finding them, I also like them and am planning on adding some to my outdoor vivaria.

Stuart

Old 9th October 2014   #6 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot1610 View Post
Here is the link to the albino ones: Would anyone like albino Bombina variegata?
There were some other ones of the normal kind but, they were from a few years ago (and I lost the links and couldn't find them again.) though, if you could find them asking the person who was selling if they have some for sale now wouldn't hurt. Good luck in finding them, I also like them and am planning on adding some to my outdoor vivaria.

Stuart

Thanks so much for your time and trouble, Stuart, best, Frank

Old 9th October 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

It's no trouble at all.

Stuart

Tags
toads

LinkBack