The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs

This is a discussion on Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs within the Tree Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Aside from FFs, is there another easily obtained food source? I would prefer to not culture FFs as they will ...

Tree Frogs Tree frogs of all kinds should be discussed here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By jbherpin
  • 1 Post By GussieFinknottl
  • 1 Post By godzillakid15
  • 1 Post By Alex M
  • 1 Post By ed_moyer
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By jbherpin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information
Default Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs

Aside from FFs, is there another easily obtained food source? I would prefer to not culture FFs as they will not need that small of prey too long at all. Will they accept worm tips? I was reluctant to offer this as they feed on insects found in/on the bark of trees in the wild.

All my thanks!

A few pics to follow for reference. The metamorphs are quite small at the moment, about pinky nail sized.

JBear
Attached Thumbnails
Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2312-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2323-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2329-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2330-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2331-crop.jpg  

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: GussieFinknottl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs

Those froglets are looking cool!

The pinhead crickets available at most pet stores might work. They can be gutloaded and dusted with calcium powder or other nutrient powder appropriate for froglets. If the pinheads are too quick for the froglets, you can pinch off their hindmost legs to slow them down.

I did feed tiny silkworms to a couple of panda bear froglets (I got them from Mulberry Farms). They'd probably work for these gray tree frogs, too. I'm not sure how well the silkworms ship this time of year.

Some tiny mealworms now and then would probably be okay.

And then there's also netting tiny insects from tall grass or from a porch light at night. On the Fourth, we saw an adult gray tree frog feeding at our friend's porch light, which had attracted loads of insects--midges, mosquitoes, etc. A toad had come out from under the porch to feast, too.

I'm not sure if this would work with froglets, but adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect. Maybe this response helps the frogs feed in the dark, or feed on quick, flying things like moths? Perhaps the same technique could be used for the froglets using tweezers with very tiny tips to hold the small food items.

Good luck!

GussieFinknottl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by GussieFinknottl View Post
Those froglets are looking cool!

The pinhead crickets available at most pet stores might work. They can be gutloaded and dusted with calcium powder or other nutrient powder appropriate for froglets. If the pinheads are too quick for the froglets, you can pinch off their hindmost legs to slow them down.

I did feed tiny silkworms to a couple of panda bear froglets (I got them from Mulberry Farms). They'd probably work for these gray tree frogs, too. I'm not sure how well the silkworms ship this time of year.

Some tiny mealworms now and then would probably be okay.

And then there's also netting tiny insects from tall grass or from a porch light at night. On the Fourth, we saw an adult gray tree frog feeding at our friend's porch light, which had attracted loads of insects--midges, mosquitoes, etc. A toad had come out from under the porch to feast, too.

I'm not sure if this would work with froglets, but adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect. Maybe this response helps the frogs feed in the dark, or feed on quick, flying things like moths? Perhaps the same technique could be used for the froglets using tweezers with very tiny tips to hold the small food items.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions, it is appreciated!

JBear

-William Shakespeare
Old 8th July 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GussieFinknottl View Post
...adult gray tree frogs do seem to have a pretty aggressive feeding response to an insect's legs grasping their snout. I would hold a moth or butterfly or mealworm up to the tree frog and let the insect's legs grip the tree frog's mouth, and the tree frog would soon gobble the insect.Good luck!
My adults have always hand fed when I rubbed their nose with food... Even when obtained from the wild as adults... They are very tame and docile frogs... Love them! When I was a child I would build towers for them to climb, and they would go to the top and simply perch.

JBear

-William Shakespeare
Old 9th July 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: godzillakid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I gotta say those are awesome little frogs they are also quite adorable

Old 9th July 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Alex M has started on the right path

I think you should bite the bullet and feed them fruit flies, a single well loaded tub will keep many youngsters fed for a week, plus I see no need to culture as they'll soon be able to take larger prey. I breed both versicolor and chrysoscelis, and start them on FF, springtails and micro crickets - not sure I'd have the patience nor ability to remove the hind legs from the latter as was suggested above, neither is it needed as your young Hyla are quite capable of catching fully mobile crickets.

Cheers
Al

Alex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Some updates...

Any idea why the tad in pic 3 and 7 is so lightly colored? There are 2 like that...

JBear
Attached Thumbnails
Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2343-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2356-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2358-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2362-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2366-crop.jpg  

Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2368-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2371-crop.jpg  

-William Shakespeare
Old 17th July 2015   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

A few more pics...

JBear
Attached Thumbnails
Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2373-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2377-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2378-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2381-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2385-crop.jpg  

Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2386-crop.jpg  

-William Shakespeare
Old 19th July 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ed_moyer has given good advice and informationed_moyer has given good advice and information
Wink Re: Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs

Well, Jbear you know how long I've been breed things. an what I've found to be one of the best feeders an easiest to culture are little Kenyan roaches (Blaberidae sp. "Kenya")

ed_moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_moyer View Post
Well, Jbear you know how long I've been breed things. an what I've found to be one of the best feeders an easiest to culture are little Kenyan roaches (Blaberidae sp. "Kenya")
Ed!!! Great to hear from you!!! Thank you for the feedback! The tads were in a pool tarp covering their pool. The person was wanting to use their pool but didn't want to kill the tads. I took them on to raise until metamorphosis. I am keeping them in the garage in all new tubs to make sure there is no issues in transporting them back to the wild. I will keep a few, maybe 2. I started out with 31. Lost 1 to a gas bubble, the rest are morphing FAST... I just wanted to ensure the best health while they were in my care... I have been feeding them garden insects, to give them a good start prior to release.

JBear

-William Shakespeare
Old 29th July 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Update.

JBear
Attached Thumbnails
Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2393-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2394-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2396-crop.jpg   Feeding Hyla versicolor metamorphs-img_2399-crop.jpg  

-William Shakespeare
Old 30th July 2015   #12 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you are keeping some, I reccomend pinheads. They are great, because they will grow at kind of the same pace, so they can be set for a while

Old 30th July 2015   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
If you are keeping some, I reccomend pinheads. They are great, because they will grow at kind of the same pace, so they can be set for a while
Released all but 3. They were all well started with wild caught food. TY, the last set of pics were at the release point.

JBear

-William Shakespeare

LinkBack