The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.

This is a discussion on Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles. within the Tree Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I have recently acquired a few juvenile Hyla arborea, which I am going to keep in my shed. These are ...

Tree Frogs Tree frogs of all kinds should be discussed here.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By Tiger mom Tammy
  • 2 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 2 Post By Stupot1610
  • 4 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By Laticaudata

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.

I have recently acquired a few juvenile Hyla arborea, which I am going to keep in my shed. These are something I had toyed with for a while... I weakened and the fun begins. I found information about these rather lacking, so following one of the breeders advice I provided ( in my opinion) a lovely secure tank with moss, leaves and bark. All was well until I added a second group.

I had placed them all in a tank, with a top opening lid. I had not appreciated that they where expert climbers, they moved very fast as soon as they lid was touched they could jump in all sorts of interesting directions..... Providing them food became very traumatic for me. I feared a mass escape.

I then ordered a terrarium, with a lovely front opening door. After a few hours putting it together I discovered the lock was missing and that it was far bigger than I expected. Today I finished it off ( the lock had arrived) with a lovely branch, ivy, moss , a small fern and ' Mind your own business' ( Soleirolia). The frogs where then transferred with minimal distress to me and them

They are so far being fed fruit fly, woodlice, white worm and small earthworm
Attached Thumbnails
Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151010_123336.jpg   Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151010_124058.jpg   Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151010_124108.jpg   Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151010_124136.jpg   Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151010_124212.jpg  

Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151010_124223.jpg  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.

Nice frogs! hen ever I see that species (Or the lemon-yellow tree frog) I instantly think of the Pine-barrens tree frog, a rare species here in the states

Old 11th October 2015   #3 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 140
Rep: Tiger mom Tammy has shown reliable knowledge

The menagerie grows! : ) I love froggies <3 Very happy for you! Great photos (and experience thus far ) can't wait for more updates!

Tiger mom Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

Looking great. The ones from me are from my group Sometimes produce bright (I mean BRIGHT) blue animals, keep an eye out for blue offspring -they are quite something!

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Blue!! Do they stay this colour and why do they? So many questions still regarding these lovelies:)

Old 11th October 2015   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If I remember, a blue frog is typically caused by lack of yellow pigment in the skin, making them blue. Same thing with the White's tree-frog

Old 12th October 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
Blue!! Do they stay this colour and why do they? So many questions still regarding these lovelies:)
Yep, a lovely bright blue. I don't know why they go this colour (though it's genetic rather than a lack of carotenes in their diet) but they do stay that colour throughout their life.

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I found one of the smallest lurking in the fruit fly container... I nearly missed it :)
Attached Thumbnails
Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151017_173641.jpg   Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151017_173147.jpg   Wandered over to the froggy side with Hyla arborea juveniles.-20151017_173121.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Laticaudata is an unknown quantity at this point

Very adorable frogs there, bella!
I'm excited to see them grow up!

Laticaudata is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack