The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Spots on Whites Tree Frog

This is a discussion on Spots on Whites Tree Frog within the Tree Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi all! I recently took in a WTF, 3 year old female, and have noticed these spots coming and going ...

Tree Frogs Tree frogs of all kinds should be discussed here.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sherie
  • 2 Post By Mana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: sherie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spots on Whites Tree Frog

Hi all!
I recently took in a WTF, 3 year old female, and have noticed these spots coming and going in various areas on her body. She had some when I first got her and, when she turns green they aren't visible, but they seem to be multiplying. I thought that they were a coloration that was coming and going due to her mood and such however, I have had a couple people suggest that it may be fungus. The spots are bright green and smooth. They aren't fuzzy or raised. While she hasn't eaten in a few days she did take down a couple of hornworms without issue last week.

I have been keeping her in an Exoterra 18x18x24. Basking temp was set on a thermostat for 82 degrees during the day and then drops to room temp over night. Humidity ranges between 35-60% depending on the misting cycle. The unit is misted twice a day - once at 9pm and again at 7am. There is a small computer fan running for airflow. The unit is bio-active with live plants. Her water dish is changed daily with tap water that is dechlorinated using Reptisafe. Feeders are gutloaded and dusted with Repashy Calcium Plus . Lights and heat are on a 12 hour cycle.

Here are some photos for reference. These have been taken over the last 2 weeks, since coming into my care. You can see how the numbers come and go.

I have moved her into a sterile unit with temps at 84 degrees and humidity stable at 30%. I have been giving her a soak in diluted Melafix as suggested by those who think she has a fungus.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the spots and treatment. It has been suggested that the spots may simply be her coloration changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Spots on Whites Tree Frog-img_7508.jpg   Spots on Whites Tree Frog-img_7450.jpg   Spots on Whites Tree Frog-img_7306.jpg  

sherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spots on Whites Tree Frog

Hello there!
I have a 6 year old whites tree frog and I took her to a vet when I first got her for the same thing. The vet told me it was just a natural change in her colors and nothing to worry about. She used to get them frequently and they would go away after a while, now that shes older she doesnt get them so much anymore, but I still see them once in a while. If they are a type of fungal or bacterial infection they havent affected her health or appetite all this time. I am by no means an expert and the vet I took her to takes care of "exotics" but not reptiles and amphibians specifically. I would wait and see if somebody with more experience comments for a second opinion. It would be nice to know if maybe I should be doing something more for mine or not too.

Mana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 141
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Spots on Whites Tree Frog

I could be wrong, but I think that's natural, I've seen a lot of photos with White's tree-frogs with similar colors, and it seems to be something that can come and go when they change color, similar to how some American green tree-frogs I've seen that have yellow flecks on them

LinkBack