The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

White's Tree Frog Noob :-P

This is a discussion on White's Tree Frog Noob :-P within the Tree Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; So I got a White's tree frog today, I had been looking for one for awhile and finally found one ...

Tree Frogs Tree frogs of all kinds should be discussed here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: totallyrad has shown reliable knowledge
Default White's Tree Frog Noob :-P

So I got a White's tree frog today, I had been looking for one for awhile and finally found one today and snatched him up. He looks very healthy and was a darker pale brownish color in the pet shop but now he is a nice mellow green color so that's good. He is the size of a quarter.

Aaaaanyway, I was wanting to know what vines/limbs work best and if you can use natural vines. I did see some fake vines at the store but they seemed to have really rough texture and I didn't want to irritate his skin. I have loads of natural vines growing from trees outside my house.
Is it kosher to just snip some off and use these vines? If so, how do I properly clean them?

Also, I have some dried 2" diameter bamboo that I got from a thrift store and now I think I have a use for it. That is, if it is safe to put in terrariums anyways :P I'd really like to incorporate them for climbing and such and they look awesome. Anyone used dried bamboo like this?

Other than that, any info/tips/suggestions from experienced keepers would be great.
I will be using live plants, probably pothos since it is readily available and I like the way it looks. Any other suggestions on safe plants? Preferably ones you can get at a nursery or home depot etc since I don't want to ship live plants.

Oh yes, I know most people say they should eat only crickets mostly but is there any other staple other than crickets? I hate crickets, they make noise, they're messy, they stink and escape easily. I have used them before with other pet frogs but just prefer to use something else. Can mealworms be alternative staple? Or do I have to suck it up and use crickets lol. Whatever's best for the frog.

Thanks!

totallyrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: Travisdjtg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: White's Tree Frog Noob :-P

Their main diet "should" be crickets but silkworms, slugs, wax worms, cockroaches, meal-worms, locusts, moths , beetles and adult flies can all be offered to them. the problem is choosing what to feed and when, to prevent nutrition problems.

Last edited by Travisdjtg; 13th October 2011 at 05:47.
Travisdjtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: totallyrad has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: White's Tree Frog Noob :-P

ok i'll just stick with the crickets then if that's what's best and throw in some of those other ones you listed from time to time.

anyway, thanks for the help with that.
does anyone have suggestions on plants still? and also if the bamboo is okay to use

totallyrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climb, diet, perch, plants, terrarium, tree frog, vines, whites, wood

LinkBack