The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dead Amazon Milk Frog

This is a discussion on Dead Amazon Milk Frog within the Tree Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I had an Amazon Milk Frog, Quazzi, who just died.He was a family favorite, and I am very upset over ...

Tree Frogs Tree frogs of all kinds should be discussed here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Repguy27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dead Amazon Milk Frog

I had an Amazon Milk Frog, Quazzi, who just died.He was a family favorite, and I am very upset over the death and I am looking to find out what happened to try to prevent anything like this from happening again. He was in a 12x12x18 enclosure with a similar sized red eye tree frog, although the two were never active at the same time and could care less about each other. They have been in the same tank for a few months, and Quazzi was around a year and a half old. His tank was set up with a mister that would go on at 6am and 6pm every day for around 15 seconds to keep the humidity high. The bottom of the tank was coconut fiber covered in frog moss. He has shown no signs of illness, aside from a birth defect that made his hip jut out the wrong way,although he still moved around just fine. I have never used any cleaners or chemicals around the tank, and hes had plenty of crickets with the occasional dusting of calcium. Temperature is room temperature, and the hygrometer says the humidity usually stays around 60-80%. A few months ago it did look like he had almost like a blue gel coming from his but, although it went away after a little while. Yesterday he was hoping around chasing crickets and this morning I saw him face down on the floor dead. Please help? Any ideas? I want to make sure the rest of my amphibians stay fine.

Repguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Dead Amazon Milk Frog

Just a thought, I could be completely wrong here, but the deformed hip and the fact that the calcium supplements were only occasional makes it sound like it could be metabolic bone disease?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AfroNewtkeeper has shown reliable knowledgeAfroNewtkeeper has shown reliable knowledge

I have a limited knowledge of tree frogs, but I'm guessing that metabolic bone disease is a possibility..? It's worth researching. Also, as a general rule, it's best not to house amphibians together, no matter their temperament. If you get another milk frog, it would be best to get a second enclosure.
The blue gel sounds very odd.

Proud caretaker of: 0.0.1 Northern blue-tongue skink, 0.0.1 crested gecko, 0.1 Hog Island boa, 0.1 Eastern black-necked garter snake, 0.1 African clawed frog, 0.0.1 PP hermit crab, two aquariums, two cats, and 400 assorted feeder roaches!
AfroNewtkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information

Temperature may have been part of the issue. Unless it was at least 76F during the day, then 'room temperature' is highly unsuitable for this species.
It also may have picked up an illness from your Red Eyed Tree frog (a reason not to house different species together).

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack