The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

black ear mantella breeding

This is a discussion on black ear mantella breeding within the Madagascar Anurans: Mantellass Tomato Frogs, etc. forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; i have purchased a colony of black eared mantellas they were breeding in a 2.5 gallon tank on just bark ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: salamanderguy has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default black ear mantella breeding

i have purchased a colony of black eared mantellas they were breeding in a 2.5 gallon tank on just bark at the pet pet store, it was kept very wet. is this unusual? i have moved them into a 10 gallon because with bromeilaheids and other plants and i have not seen any evidence of breeding does anybody have any suggestions?

salamanderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 13
Rep: bobberly1 has shown reliable knowledgebobberly1 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: black ear mantella breeding

Thats cool! Lucky to get your hands on some of those. Yeah, keep them wet with dry spots, preferably a small body of water. The best food is probably dusted drophilia. Can't say I'm an expert but this is the general message I've recieved.

bobberly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: black ear mantella breeding

I have a group of 3 and to get them to breed I put them through a "dry" season and then a "wet" season. To accomplish this I limit my misting to about once a week, sometimes not even that often, this will allow the tank to dry out some. I do this for about 6-8 weeks. Then I will gradually mist more often and heavier at least 2 or 3 times a day. It is also important to note that you should also increase feedings at this time. If all goes well you should start to see breeding behaviour in about a week or two. Eggs should follow shortly, I recommend keeping moss and a decent piece of bark in there also, it has been my experience that they prefer to lay eggs under these items. These mantellas are very susceptible to heat stress, so I would also keep that in mind, anything above 79'F (15'C) will be deadly to them.

Hope this will help,
Justin

Greatwtehunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, breeding, ear, mantella

LinkBack