The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My Golden Mantella's

This is a discussion on My Golden Mantella's within the Madagascar Anurans: Mantellass Tomato Frogs, etc. forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi, hope you like them picked the five up today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tony has given good advice and informationtony has given good advice and information
Default My Golden Mantella's

Hi, hope you like them picked the five up today
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008   #2 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: My Golden Mantella's

Hi Tony,

Very nice, they look very at home in your natural set up.

I wish you every success with them.

Ben

benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: marco has shown reliable knowledgemarco has shown reliable knowledge

Nice animals, my friend keeps a group of nine in a 4 foot planted set up. these frogs are brilliant for big planted enclosures, there colours really show them off.

marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: spiny tails is an unknown quantity at this point

very nice, in the process of planning a set up for some of these, stunning frogs, good luck with them

spiny tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: bobberly1 has shown reliable knowledgebobberly1 has shown reliable knowledge

Nice! You can never find mantellas around here.

bobberly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Gorgeous animals and great setup too. Best of Luck with them. You don't see them over here as much anymore.

Alex

Old 3rd November 2008   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bobberly1 has shown reliable knowledgebobberly1 has shown reliable knowledge

I think its because of collection laws. That really isn't a bad thing, but someone needs to get these guys breedin'!

Old 4th November 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

There are a couple of breeders on dendroboard.com that have them for sale occasionally.

Alex

Old 4th November 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: David Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and information

I've gotten a recent crash course introduction into the breeding of Golden Mantellas, and the rearing of tadpoles. We're currenty breeding a group of 4.2 in a 10 gallon tank. The cage is misted 5 times a day, each misting lasts approx. 15mins. The males are seen combating, and heard calling on a regular basis. The male's call is short and similar to other Mantella species, which sounds more like a cricket, rather than a frog. The females get noticeably larger and swollen with eggs prior to deposition. Egg laying sites have been in the form of small, "Gladware" disposible tupperware containers filled with spagnum moss, with half the lid cut off. The frogs do prefer a darker, secluded hide to lay the eggs. We've noticed that once we see a few males guarding a nesting site, it's almost a garuntee the female has deposited a rather large mass (50 to 60 eggs) in the container. The eggs develop rather quickly, and usually start hatching with 7 to 10 days. A little trick on rearing tadpoles... keep them dark! They are extremely sensitive to light! We couldn't figure out why the tadpoles weren't doing well in the first batch until we read about the lighting. As soon as the first batch was kept dark, they litterally took off like weeds! It's been roughly two months since the first mass was laid, the back legs are fully developed and the front leg buds seem to be forming. Because of their small size and rather quick development, a little extra attention is needed with the eggs and tadpoles, compaired to that of their distant central/south american relatives. Good luck with breeding!

David Tobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tony has given good advice and informationtony has given good advice and information

Has anyone got a calling clip of the males please or where i can find one.

Old 5th November 2008   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: David Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and information

I found this video online of two males combating and calling back and forth.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-C7-...aca_wrestling/

Old 5th November 2008   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi thanks for that.

Old 5th November 2008   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Do you mist them by hand?! Few people I know have more than an hour a day to alot to frog misting.

Old 5th November 2008   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberly1 View Post
Do you mist them by hand?! Few people I know have more than an hour a day to alot to frog misting.
Cheap automatic misting system.

Here's my video that shows the frog room.

http://www.vimeo.com/1727143

If you listen closely you can hear the Mantellas calling.

Old 6th November 2008   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

This thread is offering quite a bit of insight. I only wish I could keep amphibians here at school. David, that video was great, where do you work?

Old 19th December 2008   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

found two lots of eggs tonight will let you all know how they get on.

Old 19th December 2008   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Shadow has started on the right path

Wow I thought these guys were really rare where only specialized people only know the best locations to find them? Either way they're nice!

Do they do hand waving gesture?

Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

A little update on the Golden Mantella breeding and rearing of the tadpoles and young:

Our first group of morphs came out of the water with SLS, probably due to the delayed development (lighting issue) early on. I'm now raising a 2nd wave of froglets that are doing very well. They're are nearly 2 months out of the water now, and feeding vigirously on springtails. I've noticed the best way to feed these little frogs is to keep them on a thin layer of colored aquarium gravel (to best view the frogs) and have the water level nearly to the top of the layer gravel. This allows the frogs to perch upon the gravel and feed on the floating springtails. The tiny frogs have seemed to double in body size and weight since emerging from the water, and have taken on an overall copper color.

I'll try to get some pictures posted sometime..

Tags
golden, mantella, mantella's

LinkBack