The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mantella Studbook

This is a discussion on Mantella Studbook within the Madagascar Anurans: Mantellass Tomato Frogs, etc. forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I have just taken over the Mantella studbook as first set up by the European Studbook Foundation (ESF). This studbook ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mwilder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mantella Studbook

I have just taken over the Mantella studbook as first set up by the European Studbook Foundation (ESF). This studbook is generally aimed at being within Europe, however people wanting to join the studbook in other areas of the globe may feel free to do so.

The idea of this studbook is to try to maintain genetic integrity by advising where new bloodlines may be moved to and from. The legal rights of these animals will remain with the owner and at the end of the day where they are moved to and how they are moved is a decision which is made by the animals owner. My role as studdbook keeper is to advise you where you may be able to acquire new bloodlines (and even new species) or where you could move some of your surplus animals to. For more information on the role of the ESF and where the participants of the studbooks come in please check their website at www.studbooks.org or contact me.

I am looking for participants with any species of Mantella as they are currently all setup in the one studbook. However I am already running each species as if it were a seperate studbook so that in the future when we have enough participants, each species may be allocated its own studbook.

We hope to be able to maintain a good genetic variety in captivity through the use of this studbook, to allow us to aid with in situ conservation projects in the future to ensure that this species increases and maintains sucess in the wild.

Thanks

Markus Wilder

mwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: gretchenellie has started on the right path
Default Re: Mantella Studbook

Old post, sorry!

gretchenellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

This is an old thread, but sadly only because it has not recieved an awful lot of interest. I am still looking for as many people as possible to join the studbook and would be happy to add people whose collections are within the US.

If you would be interested in joining this project please feel free to fill in the forms as mentioned in the initial post of this thread and I will get you on to the studbook.

Old 1st February 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tony has given good advice and informationtony has given good advice and information

How many members is there in the uk ?.

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi Tony,

At present there are sadly only 2 members within the UK, however I have had a number of other keepers show interest in joining. We have only just started to try and re-populate this studbook and people have had fairly busy months over December and January. From the sounds of the interested parties which I have spoken to we should start getting more full submissions over the next couple of months. However we have had a fairly good response about this project throughout Europe.

Old 13th July 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RainFrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Tony, are you familiar with TreeWalkers International? It has a studbook program.

RainFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack