The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My Golden Mantella (M.aurantiaca)

This is a discussion on My Golden Mantella (M.aurantiaca) within the Madagascar Anurans: Mantellass Tomato Frogs, etc. forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi everyone, Even though this is a Caudata forum I thought the Madagascan Anura section needed a bit of a ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By TylototritonGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default My Golden Mantella (M.aurantiaca)

Hi everyone,

Even though this is a Caudata forum I thought the Madagascan Anura section needed a bit of a more recent thread as the last one was over a year and a half ago!

Anyway, these are my Golden Mantella (Mantella Aurantiaca) pair which are my breeders. I have had them for near on 2 years now and researched them heavily for 5 to 6 years before I even considered buying them! They are one of the boldest species I have ever kept and compared to other species of in the Mantella genus and the Dendrobatidae family, these aren't as shy as people have been lead to believe.

Bit of information about the species: The species is from the the Island of Madagascar and has a very restricted and fragmented distribution range. They are currently located in the central part of Torotorofotsy Marshlands and the Andromena forest located on the Samarirana Rover, there are other populations scattered around the Northern and Southern parts of Mora-manga. They are one of the rarer and more endangered species of the Tylototriton genus being evaluated as "Critically Endangered" by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species in 2004, however this species is widely and heavily bred in captivity.

Here are both of them (quite an old picture but one of my faves) :
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a close up of my Female :

Here is a close up of my Male :

These are probably one of my favorite species of Amphibians. I have always been drawn to species from the Dendrobatidae family and the Mantella genus because not only because of their use of Aposematism, but also because I find them fascinating to watch :)

Anyway thank you for reading my thread!!

Tyloguy

P.S Please do not use my photos without permission, as one or two people have tried passing off photos as their own.

"Madagascar is an unrepeatable experiment, a set of animals and plants evolving in isolation for over 60 million years. We're still trying to unravel its mysteries. How tragic it would be if we lost it before we even understood it." David Attenborough
TylototritonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: joshfrogz72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Golden Mantella (M.aurantiaca)

awesome frogs. do you by any chance breed these guys

joshfrogz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information
Default Re: My Golden Mantella (M.aurantiaca)

Wow, beautiful frogs!

Tags
aposematism, aurantiaca, golden mantella, mantella

LinkBack