The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My Mantella Collection.

This is a discussion on My Mantella Collection. within the Madagascar Anurans: Mantellass Tomato Frogs, etc. forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Wow Mantella Guy your collection is amazing. Any tips to a new Golden Mantella keeper? Also do you have any ...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2013   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: My Mantella Collection.

Wow Mantella Guy your collection is amazing. Any tips to a new Golden Mantella keeper? Also do you have any recommended frog sites and blogs that are focused on Anura?

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013   #22 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: My Mantella Collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylototritonGuy View Post
Marc Staniszewski who is the owner of Dartfrog.co.uk and the discoverer of Mantella milotympanum.
Marc didn't discover them. He described them, but probably accidentally, along with Mantella aurantiaca rubra. Both names were being used in the pet trade [which seems obvious, given the fact that milotympanum is a misspelling of melanotympanum] at the time, but Marc put both in print along with descriptions, which is enough to formally credit him with both names. Likewise, I am responsible for Mantella nasuta, a name which is an editorial error based on a slide which was labelled as "Mantella n.sp." [which is why the name only appears with the photo, and not in the text]. The latter error appeared in print so quickly that by the time I was aware of it, there seemed little I could do.

M.milotympanum is recognized because it is distinct in a number of ways from other species, although highly variable itself (red, orange, green, or blue) between populations and virtually genetically identical with M.crocea (also green, yellow, orange, or red). It's hard to say whether the two species are distinct from one another, or even if each might be composed of multiple micro-species, but the difference in skin texture and pigmentation certainly suggests they are.

Most, if not all "Mantella betsileo" in captivity are Mantella ebenaui, and can be keyed out based on small differences. Mantella viridis and M.ebenaui are closely related, and could be a complex of four recently diverged species or semispecies.

Nice collection. One day I'll focus on this genus again, having kept 13 species and an additional 3 variants previously.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aurantiaca, betsileo, crocea, ebenaui, expectata, laevigata, mantella, viridis

LinkBack