The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fire-bellied Toad tank

This is a discussion on Fire-bellied Toad tank within the Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hello everyone, I wanted to share my 37 gallon FBT tank with you and ask some questions. First, any suggestions ...

Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads Discuss these lively little toads here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blacknova

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fire-bellied Toad tank

Hello everyone, I wanted to share my 37 gallon FBT tank with you and ask some questions. First, any suggestions for the water section ? I'm looking for some kind of lilly pad esque decorations they can sit on and float. Some friends on Frog Forum also suggested aquatic plants. Any suggestions for things that could grow down by the slate ? I have a spider plant I'm going to add to the "dry" section but have no idea what plants or decorations to add to the water section.

All the slate that is in the tank I tested with vinegar (to see if it bubbled.) then sterilized. We literally have a whole hillside of it, So, I lucked out since I wanted a natural setup.

p.s. the knife I use to cut up earth worms with lol. Has anyone actually got theirs to eat worms. Mine have eaten one small piece, they would much rather chase a cricket.

Click the image to open in full size.

blacknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kilolotlkeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a beautiful set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilolotlkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Fire-bellied Toad tank

Thanks Killian ! I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

Old 27th February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Pugnator is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknova View Post
Hello everyone, I wanted to share my 37 gallon FBT tank with you and ask some questions. First, any suggestions for the water section ? I'm looking for some kind of lilly pad esque decorations they can sit on and float. Some friends on Frog Forum also suggested aquatic plants. Any suggestions for things that could grow down by the slate ? I have a spider plant I'm going to add to the "dry" section but have no idea what plants or decorations to add to the water section.

All the slate that is in the tank I tested with vinegar (to see if it bubbled.) then sterilized. We literally have a whole hillside of it, So, I lucked out since I wanted a natural setup.

p.s. the knife I use to cut up earth worms with lol. Has anyone actually got theirs to eat worms. Mine have eaten one small piece, they would much rather chase a cricket.

Click the image to open in full size.
If you like it you could put some lemna minor, but it is ugly on my opinion(But on pond look nice). So you could plant some anubias nana or if you want to put something that float you could try Salvinia Natans. You could also try with pothos ,pothos grown very fast and you can simple put the root on water, they will fastely "Colonize" the water part creating a very nice structure with root, the frog will swim through it and will use it as hiding. Anyway, regarding "warm" part is strange , bombina orientralis should eat everything that move and look alive. Do you capture the worm or you buy it ? If you capture it do you do in your garden where are not used fertilizer or other chemical product or you capture it just on nature (dangerous) ?

Pugnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I Thanks for the plant suggestions. As far as the worms go I buy them but, we don't use pesticides or herbicides. It may be that once the worm is cut up into small enough pieces it just doesn't move long enough to keep their attention.

Old 27th February 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: philj is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same thing with feeding my fire bellies, unless the food is something fast moving (like crickets or locusts) they really arent interested

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

philj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

try to take the hearthworm with a plier and move it near the frog, usually the frog will jump and you could give the food this way. You could also rationalize the food this way.

Old 27th February 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnator View Post
try to take the hearthworm with a plier and move it near the frog, usually the frog will jump and you could give the food this way. You could also rationalize the food this way.
Better some long tweezers then plier. Stupid translator.

LinkBack