The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Where are the bright green orientalis?

This is a discussion on Where are the bright green orientalis? within the Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; i have 8 B.Orientalis , 4 are Brown olive green and the other 4 are quite bright. They all change ...

Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads Discuss these lively little toads here.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2009   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: End has shown reliable knowledgeEnd has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Where are the bright green orientalis?

i have 8 B.Orientalis , 4 are Brown olive green and the other 4 are quite bright. They all change colors when are under stress , but the difference in colors is quite impressive.
I want to post some pictures for show how this wonderful toads can be different to eachother
brown olive green (this group are all 2-3 years old)
Click the image to open in full size.

bright green ( 8months to 1 years old)

End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Freebird11 is an unknown quantity at this point

While there are several approaches to breeding these toads, the most important requirement for breeding orientalis is a winter cool down period lasting at least 6 weeks.
One successful method involves placing the toads in a tupperware/plastic food container filled two thirds of the way with moist moss and then placing the container in a fridge. The temperature of the fridge should be 7-10 C (45-50 F). Six to eight weeks seems to be sufficient time to condition the toads using this approach. During this period the toads are fed once a week. When their time in the fridge is up, transfer them back to a tank that is kept within the normal temperature range (see the information box near the top of this article). After allowing the toads a few days to adjust to life outside the fridge, they should receive a heavy feeding regimen that consists of crickets four times a week, and waxworms once a week. This is an integral aspect of conditioning because the nutrition the female receives will transfer to her eggs/egg production. For the first week out of the fridge, a reduced lighting period of about 10 hours per day is recommended, increasing by 1-2 hours each week until reaching a peak of about 14 hours of light each day. By the end of the first week you should begin to hear your male(s) calling.

Old 23rd August 2011   #23 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org

There are a few dozen methods to breed Bombina orientalis, and they all work. Sometimes a water change with cool water can be enough.

Old 26th August 2011   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rethgar has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinlato View Post
May i ask whats the difference between Russian and Chinese species?

The Chinese are often smaller and green or brown, the Russians lean toward a much deeper red belly and their brown colouration is distinct from the Chinese. The Korean type tends toward green more exclusively (though some variations exist.

rethgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: GaryH is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 5 total and one is very dark and the other 4 are very bright, my dark one is my fatty, LOL, he also seems to be the friendliest of my guys.

GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: physalia is an unknown quantity at this point

All of the ones I have seen that are bright green have been wild caught, although I'm not sure where they were collected. I started with a group of bright green wild caught. Almost all of their offspring were brown or just had a little green on them. I thought they might grow into their colors but they did not. Then I thought it was environmental so I added lots of green plants to the tank. Still the offspring came out brown. I suspect, as others have said, that pigmentation may be a dietary issue.

physalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014   #27 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

There are several other threads here with discussion on green colouration in Bombina:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f53-oth...-toadlets.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f53-oth...tml#post346993

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f53-oth...variances.html

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bright, green, orientalis, orientalis?

LinkBack