The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Albino Fire Bellied Toads

This is a discussion on Albino Fire Bellied Toads within the Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Just found some of these little guys for sale. Sadly there are sold for a bout $160 which is waaaay ...

Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads Discuss these lively little toads here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KaylaContagious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Albino Fire Bellied Toads

Click the image to open in full size.

Just found some of these little guys for sale. Sadly there are sold for a bout $160 which is waaaay out of my price range. Anybody else seen these for sale?
KaylaContagious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: KaylaContagious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Albino Fire Bellied Toads

here is another picture I found this one is the washed out colors on the stomach
KaylaContagious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JeffX is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are cool, but not for 160 dollars.
JeffX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I've only seen them on 2 websites; one had them for $160 and the other had them for $175. I personally don't find them all that appealing.
Old 1st June 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The washed out color of the belly is not caused by the pigmentation condition. Since the red colour is entirely introduced with the diet, technically that animal should have had a red belly if itīs diet had been rich in carotenes. That yellow is not part of the colour morph.
By the way, the first and third pictures look like they are leucistic. The second one is albino (and shouldnīt be able to produce a red belly even with the proper diet ?ŋ).

Anyway they are expensive as hell....and i hope they donīt spread a lot (cool looking, though...).

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 3
Rep: stavroske has given good advice and informationstavroske has given good advice and information

[/quote]The second one is albino (and shouldnīt be able to produce a red belly even with the proper diet ?ŋ).[quote]

Why should an albino not be able to produce a red belly? Albinism is the lack of black pigmentation. If there is a lack of red pigmentation, it is called anerythrism. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
stavroske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Uh, you are absolutely right, i got mentally tangled. The albino should be able to accumulate carotenes if introduced with the diet, the leucistic, probably not (although if it can accumulate pteridines, it should be able to accumulate carotenes).
However, the lack of red pigmentation can hardly be considered anerythrism, since itīs not a genetic condition that causes the lack of the pigment but entirely a dietary factor.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010   #8 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: uwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and information

a friend of mine is breeding them regularily and always looks for interested buyers. His price is not 160/animal, but closer to a tenth of that price.

Only problem he is not in the US.

See you

Uwe
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: stavroske has given good advice and informationstavroske has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
However, the lack of red pigmentation can hardly be considered anerythrism, since itīs not a genetic condition that causes the lack of the pigment but entirely a dietary factor.
You're correct about that. I Didn't say that the bombina is anerythristic, only that (genetic) lack of red is called anerythrism.
By the way, that bombina looks fascinating!
stavroske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Ezequiel Nahuel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.
I only want to say that these are not Bombina orientalis, they are Bombina variegata.
The photos were originally posted here:
European Firebelly toad - Albino style - The Alberta Reptile and Amphibian Society
And from this website:
Amazon Reptile Center - 909.447.5103
Here is a photo of an adult Bombina variegata from...
CalPhotos: Bombina variegata; Yellow-bellied Toad
They are identical.
As far as I know, albino/leucistic Bombina orientalis are extremely rare and the inmune system of the tadpoles/toadlets is very week, so, they die easily.
I found this photos of a baby leucistic Bombina orientalis (apparently, this was the unique leucistic of the spawning):
leucistic_tadpole
baby frogs
You can see that its parents are B. orientalis.
So, in my opinon, it is more probable the "albino/leucistic Bombina orientalis" are in effect Bombina variegata.
Bye
PS: Excuse me for my English
Ezequiel Nahuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Ezequiel Nahuel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again.
Three more photos:
http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.co...orientalis.jpg
http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.co...orientalis.jpg
These are very unreliable...
http://www.scales-reptiles.com/en_EN...iegata-albino/
Albino Bombina variegata.
Bye
Ezequiel Nahuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: JWERNER has started on the right path

I been frequenting the Kingsnake classifieds lately and I saw these the other week.

I do not like firebelly toads but these Albinos are killer!

kingsnake.com Classifieds: Albino European Fire-Belly Toads: $125/2

125$ a pair.

The second is albino but the first does look like a leucistic.

But that last could very well be albino. Im pretty sure it is.

Last edited by JWERNER; 23rd August 2010 at 01:01.
JWERNER is offline   Reply With Quote