The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Development B.orientalis

This is a discussion on Development B.orientalis within the Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; This is the first time that we've got eggs from our B.orientalis. At first we had them in a more ...

Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads Discuss these lively little toads here.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2012   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Development B.orientalis

This is the first time that we've got eggs from our B.orientalis. At first we had them in a more terrestrial setup, because we didn't want any toadlets. We thought that there weren't that many people interested in offspring. After seeing that other breeders didn't have any problems selling (or giving) their offspring (away), we wanted to give it a try and it worked. Happy.... joy!

18-05-2012:
Click the image to open in full size.
20-05-2012 (they're hatching allready!):
24-05-2012 (growing quickly and eating a lot):

They're growing so much faster than newt and salamander larvae. We've got about 60 toadlets in a seperate tank and an unknown amount in the tank where they were lain.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Development B.orientalis

Great photos! My orientalis just bred a couple of weeks ago and the older batch are huge and eating vast amounts of food. They are quite warm, about 22- 24c, with the recent hot weather, which I think has sped them up.

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I guess you're right according to the warm temperatures and their growing rate. It almost seems like you can see them grow. 27-05-2012:

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Old 27th May 2012   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They seem to stop eating quite so much when they get to a certain size and slow their growth a bit. My second batch are in the fast growth phase and eating like pigs, the first lot have slowed down a bit. They also show a greater preference for meaty foods like deforsted brine shrimp and Daphnia over algae and fish flakes. They go nuts for a brine shrimp jelly/paste made by Tetra.

I absolutely love the transparency of the bodies - you can watch the chambers of the heart fill in turn with blood and then contract to empty it, and also the gills and lungs moving. Fantastic tadpoles! I will put on a photo/video of mine soon.

And the adults have just dropped more eggs....how many can they produce?!

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
Old 27th May 2012   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

I believe they can produce 60 to 80 eggs.

Old 29th May 2012   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

My gf took this picture yesterday:

Old 29th May 2012   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Chris asked me to upload this video:

By the way, that´s a brilliant picture, Niels!

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

How I love these little buggers! I must admit that I prefer toadlets, because they're so easy raise compared to newt larvae (which aren't that difficult except for some species). Just throw in some fish flakes, algae pellets and greens and watch them grow! I've witnessed a toadlet eat a very small snail btw.

But don't you worry. Salamanders and newts remain my favourites.

Old 30th May 2012   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks for posting that, Rodrigo. They have grown considerably in the week since that was filmed - the y now all have small hind legs - just a nub with some digits on the end.

C

Old 30th May 2012   #10 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Can't wait until that happens here.

Old 12th June 2012   #11 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

12-06-2012

Old 18th June 2012   #12 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

18-06-2012

Old 18th June 2012   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mshine1217 has given good advice and informationmshine1217 has given good advice and information

Amazing photos ! Congrats on your babies !

Old 19th June 2012   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Mine are almost all morphing, too, now. The ones that have completely lost the tail have started to munch on fruitflies. I'm keeping them in very shallow water (about 4mm) with a tile and lump of java moss in the middle. This means that the fruitflies are moated in and can't escape up the sides of the tank.

The toadlets climb up the sides to the lid when I disturb them, but come down to feed when no-one's looking (or at least when they think no-one's looking).

Will get some pics when I can.

C

Old 19th June 2012   #15 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

That sounds like a good method! I will copy cat this for sure.

At this moment I put the ones wich have developed front legs in a container with 4 cm of water completely filled with Eleodea. On the bottom lies gravel which rises above water level at one side of the tank.

I'm planning to move the ones who will get on "land" to a container filled with coco peat, which is allready running. I'm using the compost method for this. At one side there's a pothos plant. At the other side there's a pile of leaflitter and I've put some seed and deer corn at both ends. This will help culturing the springtails and the pill bugs I've put in there.

I've boosted up my big springtail culture, so I can add new ones if needed. Hopefully this will all work well. I would really love to see pics of your animals!

Old 19th June 2012   #16 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Ah, so you are rearing them terrestrially? I just use a tilted tank with some java moss and a bit of water for those absorbing tjeir tails. They don't have any problem getting out of the water, but when they have reabsorbed most of their tail they go to a toadlet tank.

I read that a lot of people use sopping wet paper towels for juveniles, but I don't like these as hatchling crickets and aphids etc just drown on it. The tile-in-the-middle of water method keeps the bugs alive.

I would imagine that you will have to keep the compost very damp in a terrestrial tank. It may work well to tilt the the tank or use a drainage layer to create a small pool and damp bank for the toads to soak in.

Mine did their first poos this morning!

How big are yours? Mine are about 10-12mm SVL. They handle D. hydei flies easily.

C

Old 21st June 2012   #17 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

21-06-2012

Old 26th July 2012   #18 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

How are your toads coming along, Niels?

Here are some pics of mine - they are VERY greedy and eat crickets etc almost every day. They receive bright full-spectrum light and also have a UVB tube (reptisun 10.0), both of which filter though a plastic mesh. I already have more newly hatched tadpoles (see photo), which I have left in the adult tank (there are only 5-10 this time) to see how they do.

Also, I 've attached a photo of the adults' tank for the sake of it. I stopped using RUBs as I had problems with escapes - the lids do not seal at all on these, which is something to bear in mind for small amphibs!

C
Attached Thumbnails
Development B.orientalis-imag0066.jpg   Development B.orientalis-imag0067.jpg   Development B.orientalis-imag0069.jpg   Development B.orientalis-imag0073.jpg   Development B.orientalis-imag0078.jpg  

Old 4th August 2012   #19 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Some more pics. The toadlets are eating and growing well and are now in deeper water, which makes keeping it clean a lot easier.

C
Attached Thumbnails
Development B.orientalis-imag0086.jpg   Development B.orientalis-imag0087.jpg   Development B.orientalis-imag0091.jpg  

Old 8th January 2013   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mwebber is an unknown quantity at this point

Great pics guys,
I remember when I first put my fbt's into a large open plan tank and they went crazy with breeding and it was great because they develop so fast. Definitely one of the easiest and best starter pets for breeding, however I never took note of how long the green colour took to develop, I was wondering did anyone take note?
It is also shock when you first see the adults consume the tiny dark mets, however this may cause controversy but the adults colours suddenly started to come out really well after consuming some of the mets, probably because of the high carotene fish flakes I used to feed them.

mwebber is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack