The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Spawn with no eggs in it!

This is a discussion on Spawn with no eggs in it! within the Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi there everyone! :) I'm the proud owner of a beautiful axolotl named Shuna and a couple of fire bellied ...

Bombinatoridae: Fire-bellied toads Discuss these lively little toads here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Opus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spawn with no eggs in it!

Hi there everyone! :)

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful axolotl named Shuna and a couple of fire bellied toads called Cherie and Muckle. Cherie's a girl, it seems; Muckle's a boy.

A couple of days ago I found them in amplexus: Muckle's been calling every evening for a while and I guess Cherie finally took the bait! Anyway, they apparently spawned: the tank has a little jelly in it now in a couple of places. However, there are no eggs in the jelly....

Could this be a practice run, so to speak? It's curious. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: seagull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spawn with no eggs in it!

is the jelly thin with tiny black dots all over it? if so this is just old shed skin
I mistook it for eggs once
eggs are laid singly on plants in a double membrane like this
bombinaegg1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

these toads will engage in amplexus with anything regardless of whether or not it's receptive, even a female, or even an animal (mine amplex the bamboo plant a lot)
it's also possible the jelly is too thin or it's being disturbed so the eggs are falling out of it and sinking

seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack