The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New darts

This is a discussion on New darts within the Dendrobatids: Poison Arrow/Dart Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; After a break from keeping darts I couldn't resist much longer and so got started again. Picked up a trio ...

Dendrobatids: Poison Arrow/Dart Frogs The place to discuss Dendrobatids.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By berksmike
  • 1 Post By zoezakella

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: berksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default New darts

After a break from keeping darts I couldn't resist much longer and so got started again.
Picked up a trio of juveile D. azureus from the Doncaster Show at the end of the month:

Click the image to open in full size.

Also have got a breeding group of one of my other favourite species - Epipedobates anthonyi:

berksmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: zoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: New darts

Love the blue poison dart frog, saw some of those at Colchester Zoo this week just gorgeous

zoezakella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: Star has shown reliable knowledgeStar has shown reliable knowledge

I love the blue poison dart as well :) Curious though, do you need a licence for these? Never been sure. Granted, I could check the DWA list.... BUT I am being lazy, very lazy since I have a copy some where lol but figured quicker me asking than locating it!

Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: zoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Heh star no you don't

2 Cynops Pyrrhogaster, 2 Bearded Dragons (Oz & Taz), 1 Sunglow Boa Constrictor (Xia), 1 Cornsnake (Zeus), 1 Crested Gecko (Blaze), 1 Leopard Gecko (Iridessa), 3 Mice (Nibbles, Patches & Ditsy) & 1 Jackahuahua (Basil)
zoezakella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: martasauce has shown reliable knowledge

Hi berksmike,

I need more photos. Of any, and every, frog you can point a lens at.

At the moment I'm living vicariously through your images.

Regards,

Wil

martasauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ltoloxa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by martasauce View Post
Hi berksmike,

I need more photos. Of any, and every, frog you can point a lens at.

At the moment I'm living vicariously through your images.

Regards,

Wil
hi Wil,

are you alowed to import and keep them over in Ozzi ? we're not...

cheers,
steve

ltoloxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star View Post
I love the blue poison dart as well :) Curious though, do you need a licence for these? Never been sure. Granted, I could check the DWA list.... BUT I am being lazy, very lazy since I have a copy some where lol but figured quicker me asking than locating it!
No, they are not a DWA listed species, the entire Dendrobatidae family are in fact not that deadly in captivity as in the wild they would be feeding on prey items that would contain the toxin which they have adapted to convert to their own advantage and seeing as they wouldnt be eating these such as Velvert Ants they wouldnt be toxic. So its perfectly legal, infact they are quite popularly kept in most countries, I have a few species myself such as E.tricolor (Phantasmal Poison Frogs) and Hyloxalus azureiventris (Sky-blue Poison Dart Frogs).

Love the photos! Gorgeous individuals especially the E.anthonyi, noticed that Anthonyi is becoming quite available lately.

I dont think Australia is actually allowed to import anything, not overly sure on that but the most species I see Australians keep is Axolotls.

"Madagascar is an unrepeatable experiment, a set of animals and plants evolving in isolation for over 60 million years. We're still trying to unravel its mysteries. How tragic it would be if we lost it before we even understood it." David Attenborough

Last edited by TylototritonGuy; 8th December 2012 at 15:04.
TylototritonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FoxHound is an unknown quantity at this point

Great looking frogs! I will be posting a picture thread when I get all my pictures organized. Keep up the good work!

LinkBack