The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

D.tinctorious sexing

This is a discussion on D.tinctorious sexing within the Dendrobatids: Poison Arrow/Dart Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I have recently acquired my first ever dart frogs, a pair of D.tinctorious 'cobalt'. I could really do with some ...

Dendrobatids: Poison Arrow/Dart Frogs The place to discuss Dendrobatids.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Squirt88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D.tinctorious sexing

I have recently acquired my first ever dart frogs, a pair of D.tinctorious 'cobalt'.
I could really do with some help on how to sex them, the only noticeable difference is that one is about double the size of the other!!!

Squirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Squirt88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: D.tinctorious sexing

Here is a picture of the bigger one.
Attached Thumbnails
D.tinctorious sexing-img_1166-1-.jpg  

Squirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: D.tinctorious sexing

Hi there,

You have a few methods that indicate the sex of D.tinctorius which include;

● Toe Pads - Males will have a much larger and more heart shape to their toe pads compard to females who have small ones in comparison.
● The Width of the specimen can sometimes be an indicator of sex, Females will appear "fatter" than males due to carring eggs however I see really huge D.tincs nowadays, in fact most Dendrobatidae and Mantella seem to be way over fed.
● Arched Back - Females will have this really dramatic hunch or arch in their backs, males dont have this pronounced.

These are the methods I personally use however they aren't always an indicator but to be honest they work alot more than not lol

You said the only noticable difference is one is double the size well firstly I would ask, are they the same age? Size is not a fair indicator IF they aren't the same age and grown up together. The one Pictured to me (cant see it very well its not the photo though I cant zoom in) looks like a Male if you go by its Arch in its back.

"Madagascar is an unrepeatable experiment, a set of animals and plants evolving in isolation for over 60 million years. We're still trying to unravel its mysteries. How tragic it would be if we lost it before we even understood it." David Attenborough
TylototritonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack