The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dwarf frog shedding skin

This is a discussion on Dwarf frog shedding skin within the Pipidae: African Clawed Toads, Surinam Toads & Aquatic Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I was trying to record my male dwarf frog singing, and accidentally caught him shedding his skin. Here's the YouTube ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By rachel1
  • 1 Post By rachel1
  • 1 Post By rachel1
  • 2 Post By rachel1
  • 1 Post By rachel1
  • 2 Post By rachel1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information
Default Dwarf frog shedding skin

I was trying to record my male dwarf frog singing, and accidentally caught him shedding his skin. Here's the YouTube video. I was impressed how quickly he pulls it off. Pardon my nosy cat please. He just got finished with a busy day of amplexus, and a few minutes after the video he was back at it. Bonus pic of one of his girls just hanging out after lights out. This is the first time I've pulled eggs to try and raise, we'll see if I can keep any tadpoles alive- I hear they have notoriously low survival rates.
Attached Thumbnails
Dwarf frog shedding skin-image.jpg  

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Dwarf frog shedding skin

Nice video!
Its really active; I have never kept dwarf frogs but sometimes I see them in the pet stores and they are always lying at the bottom, moving very rarely. It is great to see a healthy dwarf frog!

AdvythAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information

They were pretty scrawny when I first got them. I've had them a little over a year now, and they're a lot more active and round than when I first brought them home. They're definitely entertaining little critters- lots of personality!

Old 13th February 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

After all the breeding was over, I ended up with one single tadpole successfully hatched, out of 20 or so eggs I pulled out to try. I think the female was inexperienced, as all her eggs were on the bottom, and I pulled one cluster that she expertly deposited on her own leg. I have been feeding it "pond water" that I baste out from around the plants in my Axolotl tank. I see microorganisms swarm off the plants when disturbed, so it seemed like an appropriate food source. It has doubled in size since hatching and seems to be doing well. So far, so good... Here's a pic, next to duckweed for a size reference. These things are rediculously tiny!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 26th February 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here's my little guy again. Still growing well. He eats copepods and baby daphnia now.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 3rd March 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

He's got little arm buds now. I'm hopeful he'll make it through metamorphosis. I've added chopped blackworms to his diet.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 7th March 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Frogs4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Awww, he's so cute! Good luck on raising him! Raising tadpoles is a lot of fun. I haven't gotten any fertilized eggs from mine yet. As for the skin shedding, I've seen mine eat theirs, ew. lol.

Frogs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks! He's looking more frog like every day. It's amazing how quickly he grows!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 10th March 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Frogs4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

How old is he now, and how long did it take for him to hatch from his egg? Very cute pic by the way.

Frogs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Eggs were laid Fed 5th. It took about 3 days for his egg to hatch, and he just completely lost his tail and finished metamorphosis yesterday.
Here's a pic I took a couple days ago when his tail started shrinking.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 17th March 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Wanted to write a summary of how I raised him, as people seem to have a really hard time with them.
Housing: plastic sandwich container floating in parents tank. About 1/2" deep, 78F. I did about 50% water changes daily using water from the parents tank.
Feeding: sprig of live plant, pond water> cyclops > baby daphnia > larger daphnia > blackworms
There was some overlap with food items. i found his appetite really took off at the baby daphnia stage. He would polish off 10-20 a day. Fed twice daily, just topping off the live food items. He had acces to live food 24/7.
He was housed individually, and I know with some species tads secrete chemicals that inhibit growth in nearby siblings. Not sure if this happens in this species, but I feel it's worth noting.
Hopefully someone will find this info helpful.

Old 18th March 2015   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

I have one little guy... He's awesome and always singing.. What's the longest you have had one? What's the life expectancy?

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've only had mine a year and a half, so they're all still youngsters- I don't think anyone's over 2 years old, but it's hard to say for sure how old they were when I got them. I've read about 5 years is the usual lifespan, but there seems to be a lot of different numbers out there.

LinkBack