The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

ADF's Eat Snails?

This is a discussion on ADF's Eat Snails? within the Pipidae: African Clawed Toads, Surinam Toads & Aquatic Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I was wondering if ADF's eat snails. Their tank got the snails from an infested PetSmart plant. I haven't put ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fishumms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Frogs4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADF's Eat Snails?

I was wondering if ADF's eat snails. Their tank got the snails from an infested PetSmart plant. I haven't put anything like a loach in there to eat the snails because I didn't want my frogs getting hurt, or getting outcompeted for food. However, it seems the frogs are somehow controlling the snails themselves...

I rarely ever see an adult snail (when I do I remove it), but I know they're still in there because I vacuum out shells from the sand when I clean the tank. Are the frogs eating the smaller baby snails? Are the bigger ones I see just snails that managed to escape the frogs?

The tank should be way more infested than it is, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Frogs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: crawdaddy has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Re: ADF's Eat Snails?

I'm not too sure on the subject, but I wouldn't expect the frogs to eat the snails. They might have too much chitin in the shell. If you're looking to get rid of them, I would recommend a slight salt solution. They aren't doing any harm though, just eating left over food, so I would just leave them.

crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Fishumms has shown reliable knowledge

Snails typically breed in response to over feeding. Maybe your frog is doing a better job of eating it's food faster? Or you're feeding it less? Or it's gotten bigger? My ADF's will try to eat snails, especially larger one if they make a lot of movement, but they just seem to spit them out.

Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Frogs4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The largest size I've ever seen these snails grow would still fit in the frogs mouth. They're small. The reason I asked about the frogs eating them (there are 3 ADF's), is I NEVER see in between sizes of the snails. Just TINY baby ones and the rare full grown ones. Where are all the middle sized ones? Two of the frogs are pretty fat, so I still suspect they may have been snacking on the side. Lol.

Frogs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack