The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best quarantine situation?

This is a discussion on Best quarantine situation? within the Pipidae: African Clawed Toads, Surinam Toads & Aquatic Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; So I just bought a new ADF and I know I need to quarantine for 3 months but that's a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: allied123 has shown reliable knowledgeallied123 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Best quarantine situation?

So I just bought a new ADF and I know I need to quarantine for 3 months but that's a long time and I'm not really sure of the best way to keep the new guy for this long. the options are a 1 gallon unheated (it sits at about 68-70 Farenheight) rubbermaid container with 100% water changes every day/every 2 days or a quarter gallon container floating in the main tank which is heated to about 78-80 (and would still have 100% water changes every day) but this would put him directly under the tank light which seems like it would be a bad idea...

allied123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Best quarantine situation?

I would go with the seperate container. Chytrid grows faster at lower temps, so you can be sure he's chytrid free after 3 months in the cooler water. Make sure he's warm enough that he is still active and eating well. Also, if he is infected and his water splashes into your main tank, you risk infecting everyone. I think completely seperate is better.

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: allied123 has shown reliable knowledgeallied123 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Best quarantine situation?

perfect that's exactly what I was thinking I just wasn't sure how cold was too cold to be acceptable (also didn't know chytrid grew faster in cold water, always learning something new from everyone here!) you think around 70 would be okay? (probably more like 72)

allied123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african dwarf frog, quarantine

LinkBack