The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Color Injected Clawed Frogs

This is a discussion on Color Injected Clawed Frogs within the Pipidae: African Clawed Toads, Surinam Toads & Aquatic Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Take a look at these guys. These guys were $2.99 each. I was wondering since these guys are injected with ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Color Injected Clawed Frogs

Take a look at these guys. These guys were $2.99 each. I was wondering since these guys are injected with color, they are most likely albino. Anyone else seen any other colors? One of them is neon green and the other is neon red. The red one is kinda dull but I've seen other red ones that were really bright.
Attached Thumbnails
Color Injected Clawed Frogs-img_2260.jpg   Color Injected Clawed Frogs-img_2257.jpg   Color Injected Clawed Frogs-img_2258.jpg  

Old 9th September 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Catbeanie has started on the right path
Default Re: Color Injected Clawed Frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axologic_Jaymes View Post
Take a look at these guys. These guys were $2.99 each. I was wondering since these guys are injected with color, they are most likely albino. Anyone else seen any other colors? One of them is neon green and the other is neon red. The red one is kinda dull but I've seen other red ones that were really bright.
This has to be cruel surely.

Don't buy them, then there won't be a market for them and they won't do it anymore.

I have seen various fish injected with dies in various patterns... I will not go near them.

Catbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axologic_Jaymes View Post
I was wondering since these guys are injected with color, they are most likely albino. Anyone else seen any other colors?
They are in fact albino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbeanie View Post
Don't buy them, then there won't be a market for them and they won't do it anymore.
This is a losing battle. There will always be a market for them, just look at how well the fish sell or even GFP axolotls. I don't personally see anything wrong with it but to each their own I suppose.

Old 9th September 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Catbeanie has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwtehunter
This is a losing battle. There will always be a market for them, just look at how well the fish sell or even GFP axolotls. I don't personally see anything wrong with it but to each their own I suppose.
What are GFP axolotls?

Last edited by Jacquie; 9th September 2009 at 11:05. Reason: Fixed quote.
Catbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

An axolotl that expresses the gene for green flourescent protein. It looks normal but glows a bright green under a black light. It is a genetically engineered morph originally created by a lab in Germany.

Old 9th September 2009   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

At 1st I didn't know they were injected with color. I thought it was a new color morph of some sort or something like GFP. I talked to the petshop owner about GFP axolotls and neon danios. He told me its the same thing. So I was tricked into buying them. I should of research it. Actually another member here on the site told me they were injected with color.

Old 9th September 2009   #7 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path

Poor things dont feel bad i would have thot that thay were GFP too.

sorry about spelling

axolotlgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to admit that they are kinda neat looking. But I think people shouldnt inject chemicals in animals to make a $

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 4
Rep: Greg31 has started on the right path

Thats cruel, and i personally find nothing attractive about them. Who would actually want anything that looks completely unnatural. I have my tanks so i have a little piece of nature in my house.

This isnt going at you original poster but to those who do sell them.

Greg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

All a sudden things get tense. I'm sorry to have created a itchy conversation. With everything said we are teaching others with our thoughts and feelings. Alot of people don't know about frogs being injected with dye. Others were misled and now corrected. Bottom line is that I have 2 frogs that are in my possession and I am going to care for them. I knew since I got them that is was a longterm deal. People can say whatever they want to say about them but, they will be well cared for. Keep you guys posted.

Old 10th September 2009   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tappers has given consistently good advice and informationTappers has given consistently good advice and informationTappers has given consistently good advice and information

Sorry this turned into a bit of a stoning Jaymes, I'm not a fan of this process but playing devil's anorak for a moment I think it's a good thing that you posted them and raised the profile of this practice so others can learn the truth before they consider buying them.

Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 4
Rep: Greg31 has started on the right path

I wasnt trying to be tense, sorry. Im happy they will have a better home with you atleast.

Greg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009   #13 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path

Good luck jaymes how big are thay and in the future thay will maybe lose ther colors the diy wears out.

axolotlgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

yea , maybe their dye might run out over time.

Old 10th September 2009   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Ahg....horrible....just horrible. I canīt believe the law allows such a thing...itīs cruel, and iīm sure lots of animals are lost during the process, or shortly afterwards...
I will never understand this obsession with "altered" animals..mind you, itīs what most people seem to like...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhael View Post
Ahg....horrible....just horrible. I canīt believe the law allows such a thing...itīs cruel, and iīm sure lots of animals are lost during the process, or shortly afterwards...
I will never understand this obsession with "altered" animals..mind you, itīs what most people seem to like...

Maybe we should make altered humans and then people might not find it funny.

Old 10th September 2009   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfrogman28 View Post
Maybe we should make altered humans and then people might not find it funny.
People do that all the time--tattoos, piercings, even splitting tongues (to look like a snake) or putting metal balls under the skin to have bumps on your head. I've heard of people shaving their teeth to make them pointy. Whatever we do to animals, we've done at least as bad to ourselves.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ZephAmp has started on the right path

I've never seen any dyed like this, however, there are some legitimate gene-injected (or plain leucistic) clawed frogs out there.
Here's one that I bought a few years ago and what she turned into. You can tell it wasn't dye injection by the color of her eyes.
Click the image to open in full size.

ZephAmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ZephAmp has started on the right path

Actually, those may also be gene-injected clawed frogs. The dyed frogs usually have splotchy patterns and the original albino eye coloring, like this one:
(Photo from Aqualand Pets Plus)

ZephAmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RainFrog is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw those xenopus offered one day, and find it horrifying that "modified" animals are becoming more common in the pet trade. I refuse to buy "Glo-fish" or any genetically modified pets.

RainFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clawed, color, frogs, injected

LinkBack