The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

African dwarf frog eggs!

This is a discussion on African dwarf frog eggs! within the Pipidae: African Clawed Toads, Surinam Toads & Aquatic Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hello there, About 2 months ago I purchased 3 ADFS from the pet store 1 male and 2 females. Today ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Bowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and informationBowl of seeds has given good advice and information
Default African dwarf frog eggs!

Hello there,

About 2 months ago I purchased 3 ADFS from the pet store 1 male and 2 females. Today when I came back from school I plopped in a frozen bloodworm cube in their tank and noticed little eggs on the surface and the bottom as well. I am expecting more considering shes still plump but I have yet to see the Amplexus. I brought out about 30 eggs into a tupperware container, but there is still some in the adults tank. I already have infusoria culture ready for them from my guppy fry.

What I want to know is how long do the eggs take to hatch and when to start feeding them? Also is infusoria a good food to start with?

Thanks in advance!

-Frank
Attached Thumbnails
African dwarf frog eggs!-dsc00460.jpg   African dwarf frog eggs!-dsc00461.jpg   African dwarf frog eggs!-dsc00469.jpg   African dwarf frog eggs!-dsc00471.jpg   African dwarf frog eggs!-dsc00472.jpg  

African dwarf frog eggs!-dsc00466.jpg  

Last edited by Bowl of seeds; 28th April 2010 at 02:04.
Bowl of seeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: African dwarf frog eggs!

should hatch within two days.

I'd go here http://www.flippersandfins.net/ADFBreedingArticle.htm The most detailed breakdown of the stages you can expect to see.
fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: thewesterngate has started on the right path

Do keep us updated, I'd love to hear how the guys are developing. :)
Old 5th May 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information

Infusoria will work well in the beginning. But as soon as they are free swimming start your BBS cultures. In my opinion these guys are extremely difficult to raise. At about the 10-14 day mark I experienced 100% mortality. I tried raising 3 batches over the last couple of months. Make sure you keep the tad cups heated if needed. I kept mine over a covered sterilite bin with water and a heater inside.

Couple of lessons I think I learned:

Feed BBS at least three times a day most likely would benefit with up to 6 small feedings daily. (finding the time to siphon and feed three times a day was extremely challenging)

Keep up cleaning out the BBS remnants at next cleaning

Keep 10-15 per 16 oz cup

I think that adding duckweed to the cups may be beneficial in the tad cups the tads may be able to eat the roots a little, use for cover, and filter the water a little.

Ultimately I stopped after batch three because of time constraints and the lack of anyone to take any of the babies when grown. I don't think I have any friends or family who would take them. So the only viable alternative would be to set up a few tanks for any lucky enough to make it through. Ultimately the reward was not enough for me to continue trying this year. I may try again some point next year. My darts, and caudates are taking up the majority of my time right now.
merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010   #5 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org

A friend of mine bred these years ago. All the eggs were left in the (large) tank. The adults were removed from it. The larvae did very well on Daphnia. He almost raised them all...
Old 5th May 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information

If I had the extra tank resources that is what I would do. Raise them in a mature tank after pulling the adult frogs. Since I stop pulling the juvies I have left them in tank to do what they do naturally. I have noticed that the are outliving the ones I tried to raise by 7-10 days.
merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote