The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

African albino clawed frog sexing

This is a discussion on African albino clawed frog sexing within the Pipidae: African Clawed Toads, Surinam Toads & Aquatic Frogs forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I have a new albino african clawed frog,it has black on his handsmbut my other one that sings has black ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jackie Stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default African albino clawed frog sexing

I have a new albino african clawed frog,it has black on his handsmbut my other one that sings has black on his hands and arms,could they both be male or do females have black hands too?thanks Jackie
Jackie Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: African albino clawed frog sexing

They both sound male to me. Any pictures? Is there any noticeable size difference between the two?
jclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

here they are,roughly the same size,the one on the left I am confused about,see the black hands on both?The one on the right has black forearms tooClick the image to open in full size.
Old 1st June 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

here is its bottom end Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th August 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: tgampper has started on the right path

They are both males. Sexually mature males will have nuptial pads on their "fingers". These are blackened, rough patches which assists the male in holding on to the female during amplexus (mating embrace). Females will not have these pads, but the cloaca (vent) will be noticeably swollen. Both males and female ACFs will call.

Terry
tgampper is offline   Reply With Quote