The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

First time Pixie owner - How Important is humidity?

This is a discussion on First time Pixie owner - How Important is humidity? within the Leptodactylidae: Pacman, Horned, Budgett's Frogs, etc. forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I've had my Pixie for about a month now, and he's my first foray into the world of frog ownership. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SlurmsMackenzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question First time Pixie owner - How Important is humidity?

I've had my Pixie for about a month now, and he's my first foray into the world of frog ownership. Things seem to be going well! He's eating enthusiastically, I've got his terrarium at a consistent 80 degrees, and he seems to enjoy burrowing around the hiding places I've set up for him.

My question though, is how important is it for me to keep up with the humidity of his terrarium? As of right now, I'm spraying it with a squirt bottle pretty thoroughly 2 times a day. His primary heat source is a lamp though, and I worry that it dries things out really quick. I know most people recommend a heating pad, but I tried that and I'm getting a more consistent temperature with the lamp .I will admit the heating pad was a cheapo Petsmart model, though.

Should I look into an actual humidifier for his terrarium, or do you think the squirt bottle is doing a decent enough job?

SlurmsMackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: maxygus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First time Pixie owner - How Important is humidity?

Hey new time pixie owner! I recently acquired one myself. From my limited experience though, I can offer what I've learned about maintaining the humidity. I had been spraying the tank and been able to keep up with the humidity, roughly around 80% each day. Thing is, I found him beginning to estevate deep down in the substrate. Turns out the surface humidity was good but his burrowing substrate was not. So I've amended the process by turning over the moss layer and and thoroughly misting the below jungle mix of Cyprus mulch and coco fiber. This has helped maintain humidity levels and I still mist the top layer of moss substrate.

Hope this helps and good luck!

maxygus is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack