The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Questions on Boreal Chorus frog (Pseudacris maculata) Set-up

This is a discussion on Questions on Boreal Chorus frog (Pseudacris maculata) Set-up within the Other Anurans forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hey All, Looking for some advice on setting up an enclosure for Boreal Chorus frogs (Pseudacris maculata). They are a ...

Other Anurans For the discussion of toad species that don't have their own subtopic.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wy Renegade
  • 1 Post By Wy Renegade
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wy Renegade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions on Boreal Chorus frog (Pseudacris maculata) Set-up

Hey All,

Looking for some advice on setting up an enclosure for Boreal Chorus frogs (Pseudacris maculata). They are a temperate species, and I know they don't require a dormancy period. I've looked through the few threads on here about chorus frogs, but not really much on how to set-up an appropriate enclosure.

I'd like something more natural like my Tiger salamander set-up which you can see here; 40B Ambystoma tigrinum Paludarium

I'm thinking of a paludarium style set-up with a small weeping wall or waterfall. Because the frogs are small, I'm looking at a 15gal AG aquarium.

Should the top be glass or screen? Any other advice?

Appreciate any additional input.

Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Questions on Boreal Chorus frog (Pseudacris maculata) Set-up

Hello. For a while I owned Upland Chorus frogs (Pseudacris feriarum) for a while, and honestly, I think they would do fine in an enclosure like that. What I would do is aim for a slightly bigger enclosure (20-30 gallons at the most) and make a 55/45 land and water split, as mine were either in their water dish, or perched on top of a log near it. I would still attempt to brumate them, as with that much water they could breed during the spring, but it would be up to you if you wanted them to do that. Also, your tiger salamander enclosure is amazing!

Old 30th September 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wy Renegade is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
Hello. For a while I owned Upland Chorus frogs (Pseudacris feriarum) for a while, and honestly, I think they would do fine in an enclosure like that. What I would do is aim for a slightly bigger enclosure (20-30 gallons at the most) and make a 55/45 land and water split, as mine were either in their water dish, or perched on top of a log near it. I would still attempt to brumate them, as with that much water they could breed during the spring, but it would be up to you if you wanted them to do that. Also, your tiger salamander enclosure is amazing!
Hey Sith, first thanks much, the Tiger enclosure has been a lot of fun. I've a few changes in mind for it now that it has been running for awhile, and am still speculating on the waterfall portion. I originally considered a 20 as a possibility, once I figure out my driftwood, I guess I'll make that decision. If I may ask, what do you mean by brumate? Breeding them would be great, but does that take a cold period to induce breeding?

Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes, brumation is essentially another word for hibernation, for this species to breed I believe they would need a winter cooling period followed by a gradual increase of warmth, like the change from winter to spring

LinkBack