The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Megophrys nasuta

This is a discussion on Megophrys nasuta within the Other Anurans forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I have kept a male Megophrys for several years and finally managed to ...

Other Anurans For the discussion of toad species that don't have their own subtopic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Allison has started on the right path
Default Megophrys nasuta

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. I have kept a male Megophrys for several years and finally managed to get 2 huge females just this week. They are not eating yet, but are in separate temporary setups, good body weight and look to be in fairly good condition so far. I don't have fresh fecals yet, but will get them done as soon as the ladies cooperate. Their setups range from 64-71 F, 65 to 80% humidity after misting. Unbleached paper towel substrates, shallow water pans, cork hides and some dried magnolia leaves. One or two large crix each, with some gutload in the setups so no one gets chewed.

I have a sort of basic frog biology question that I just can't find an answer to. I've mostly worked with true chameleons and leaftailed geckos. The dealer told me that at least one of the females has been in amplexus with males in his holding group, and that she has grown larger since. I don't introduce new herps to established ones for at least a month, but if she is full of mature eggs doesn't she need to lay them? Will she do this without being with the male? I realize the eggs wouldn't be fertilized, but am concerned that she will be at risk if she has to hang onto mature eggs for weeks. I can easily cover part of her water area with bark if this will encourage her to lay. The last thing I want is to lose her to ignorance. Any answers, advice or experience with this lovely frog would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: berksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and informationberksmike has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Megophrys nasuta

I think I will try and get some of these myself.
Visited London Zoo at the weekend and they had the most spectacular specimen in the Reptile House.

berksmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Xuntos has started on the right path

Allison what ended up happening?

Xuntos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Bert is an unknown quantity at this point

Some frogs need to deposit their eggs, with our without male (e.g. common frogs (Rana temporaria)). Other species may keep the eggs for a prolonged period of time (until finding a mate or encountering suitable circumstances (habitat, climate,...)). I think I even read somewhere that some species might break down the eggs internally (not 100% sure, should find back that reference).

I have no idea for Megophrys, but I am interested in hearing how she ended up?

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

I doubt there will be an answer, this thread is 5 years old

Old 28th September 2012   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

No idea why people always tend to dig so deep for these bury threads.
Theres enough going on in the present

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

As a new member to this forum, I love to delve right back into the old threads because they are a mine of outstanding information which just cannot be found else where on the web. Also, some questions are very specific and unlikely to be asked or referred to in a long while so these questions are not going to be found on the top of the forum.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megophrys, nasuta

LinkBack