The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Substrate for spadefoots?

This is a discussion on Substrate for spadefoots? within the Other Anurans forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I have a pair of Spea multiplicata . Right now I have them on moist sand, but was wondering if ...

Other Anurans For the discussion of toad species that don't have their own subtopic.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SludgeMunkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: aliceinwl has given good advice and informationaliceinwl has given good advice and informationaliceinwl has given good advice and information
Default Substrate for spadefoots?

I have a pair of Spea multiplicata. Right now I have them on moist sand, but was wondering if anyone with longterm experience has recommendations / experience using other substrates or mixes of substrates. I'm thinking of moving them over to mix of coco fiber and sand. Alternatively, I've had good luck keeping salamanders longterm on the 50:50 coconut fiber:topsoil mix. Would this work for Spea too? I could even do a third of cocofiber, topsoil and sand. With the sand alone, I'm worried there won't be any natural waste breakdown necessitating frequent substrate changes.

aliceinwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Substrate for spadefoots?

Moist sand gets foul, and can also be difficult for some animals to burrow in. I haven't kept Spea, but I don't think they would mind a non-sand substrate as long as they can burrow in it.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

A loose substrate is key. I use a coco-fiber/sand mix. It is about 75% coco-fiber and 25% sand.

Old 31st August 2010   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Topsoil a minimum of ten inches deep. Moist not damp and semicompacted. When the surface dries out heavily mist it till the surface is saturated. Do this late afternoon or early evening. Once nightfall hits, add live insects and watch the show. Only feed after watering or they will not surface to eat. provide a water dish for them to soak in during feeding time. I would avoid coir and compost based substrates. High moisture content speeds up their metabolism and results in starvation during their normal aestivation cycles often leading to death.

Spea species feeding response has been linked to barometric pressure drops and subsonic frequencies. I can confirm this with my specimens. I water and feed them in conjunction with bass heavy music playing. (mine really respond to Juno Reactor and Cypress Hill) I keep an eye on my barometer and use it as my schedule. If the tank is dry and the mercury drops, its time to fire up the music and watch the show!

By observing them in the wild most of this summer, I found their diet consists primarily of crickets and beetles. They seem to ignore other foods.

Keep in mind that these guys are notoriously lousy captives and that you will rarely if ever see them outside of the methods described. Also note this what I use for Spea bombifrons.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chuckpowell has shown reliable knowledge

I keep mine in straight damp coco-fiber about 4" deep and they do fine. It stays light and loose and easy for them to burrow. But I think it would all depend on where your keeping them. I keep mine in a tub in doors and that's fine. If they are outdoors open to the environment you'll need a much denser substrate.

Best,

Chuck

chuckpowell is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack