The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care

This is a discussion on Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care within the Other Anurans forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; I inadvertently brought home what I believe to be a Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) tadpole from a daphnia collecting ...

Other Anurans For the discussion of toad species that don't have their own subtopic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2012   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care

I inadvertently brought home what I believe to be a Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) tadpole from a daphnia collecting expedition. I have never raised a tadpole before but am thinking of keeping it in a ~25g outdoor container in about 4 inches of water with some floating plants and feeding it algae wafers from my Otocinclus fish. Will that work? Do they need aeration? What else should I do?
I was going to return it but the pond is nearly dry (very few daphnia left) and I just didn't want to consign it to a crappy death. Thanks for any help you all can offer!
Heather

Enjoy the useless pictures - my camera is rubbish for anything smaller than a kitten...
Attached Thumbnails
Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care-100_1702.jpg   Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care-100_1703.jpg  

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: asfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care

based on my observations my tadpoles don't seem to enjoy the airline tubing at all. I use rain water or purified water to aerate the water. I think that tadpoles are relatively hardy when it comes to aeration, because I found the egg clutch in a disgustingly semi-anarobic pond. Since you only have one tadpole you don't really need to worry about feeding constantly... having 40 Rana aurora tadpoles I constantly have to toss food in there, plus I have a cat tail (Typha latifolia) that they chew on quite a bit... (sidenote: I dont recommend cat tail in an aquarium... The one I have grows about 2 inches a day and sucks up a vast amount of my water).... Seeing as I have only had one postzygotic death I think I am doing rather well.

Enjoy raising him/her

Old 1st June 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) Tadpole Care

Thanks for the help! If it makes it I can try to post more pics, but they are pretty much guaranteed to be poor quality.

Heather

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack