The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My Malaysian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra)

This is a discussion on My Malaysian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra) within the Other Anurans forums, part of the Anura: Frogs & Toads category; Hi everyone, Even though this is a Caudata forum I thought I would post a thread up of one of ...

Other Anurans For the discussion of toad species that don't have their own subtopic.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By TylototritonGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default My Malaysian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra)

Hi everyone,

Even though this is a Caudata forum I thought I would post a thread up of one of my latest additions to my collection.

Anyway, these are my Malaysia/Asian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra) pair which are sexed based on Sexual Dimorphism (size differences and colouration). They are a shy species obviously and are very Nocturnal in their general behavior and rarely if ever see them out and about during the day period. The Male I have heard calling a lot since I got them both and he has been hanging around the water bowl so I am tempted to provide them with a Rain Chamber earlier than planned just to see what happens.

Bit of information about the species: Is 1 of 14 species of the Kaloula genus (members of the Microhylidae family). The Malaysian Painted Bullfrog is in fact widely distributed in it's natural occurrence range and is mainly collected for both Consumption and the Pet Trade, where it is widely and commonly kept in the hobby. they have been evaluated as "Least Concerned" by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species in 2009

This is the Female individual 2013:
Click the image to open in full size.

Female again out about about very late at night - assume hunting as they both feed really well

The male in their water bowl, he makes it so messy after hes been in it a while

Anyway thank you for reading my thread!!

Tyloguy

P.S Please do not use my photos without permission, as one or two people have tried passing off photos as their own.

"Madagascar is an unrepeatable experiment, a set of animals and plants evolving in isolation for over 60 million years. We're still trying to unravel its mysteries. How tragic it would be if we lost it before we even understood it." David Attenborough
TylototritonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 2
Rep: bichogrilo has given good advice and informationbichogrilo has given good advice and information
Default Re: My Malaysian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra)

Cool looking critter, how big are they i can't tell from the photo.

bichogrilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: My Malaysian Painted Bullfrogs (Kaloula pulchra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichogrilo View Post
Cool looking critter, how big are they i can't tell from the photo.
Thank you and I haven't sized them just yet but I need to do it soon to keep a journal of them lol but individuals dont get any bigger than 8cm. Males are smaller than females in Girth and length :)

"Madagascar is an unrepeatable experiment, a set of animals and plants evolving in isolation for over 60 million years. We're still trying to unravel its mysteries. How tragic it would be if we lost it before we even understood it." David Attenborough
TylototritonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kaloula pulchra, malaysia painted frog

LinkBack