The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Blind snake

This is a discussion on Blind snake within the Gymnophiona: Caecilians forums, part of the Other Amphibians category; I saw brahminy blind snake and was wondering if it was a snake or a caecilian because it was listed ...

Gymnophiona: Caecilians For the discussion of Caecilians (also known as "Eels").

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheAmphibianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blind snake

I saw brahminy blind snake and was wondering if it was a snake or a caecilian because it was listed as one on a website but not on others. Also does anyone know where I can buy one?

TheAmphibianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TheAmphibianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blind snake

Also Apparently there common in Florida even though there non native, so if anyone is there I was wondering if you could collect on and I could buy it?

TheAmphibianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Asiatyphlops braminus is generally unprotected. I don't THINK Florida or any other state currently have restrictions on them. They're introduced in Phoenix and I think Hawai'i as well. They're not currently considered harmful to the environment to my knowledge. They are a snake, not an amphibian. You can sometimes buy Bimini blind snakes as pet trade imports. I don't know how any worm, thread, or blind snakes do in captivity, but there's a lot of variation in their sizes, diets, and habitats between species.

A.braminus has previously been known as Typhlops braminus, Rhamphotyphlops braminus, and possibly a couple of other names as well.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path

( From snakesandspiders.com) It might seem hard to believe, but the brahminy blind snake really does resemble a worm. It is a slender snake, that is considered to be the smallest snake in North America. This tiny snake is only about 6 inches long, and has all the appearances of a worm. The only difference really is that it is smooth and shiny like a snake, and is black in color.
While the brahminy blind snake is often black on top, it is usually a lighter color on the underside of the body. The tip of the tail can often be yellow as well, much like some of the youngsters of larger species of snakes. Sometimes the brahminy blind snake has a yellowish tint or white tint under the neck.

While the common earthworm is very similar in many ways, what sets it apart from the brahminy blind snake is the fact that they have segmented bodies. While most snakes have a difference in size around the neck area, the brahminy blind snake does not. They shed just like a regular snake, however, and are aided in this by the fact that they are burrowing snakes. When they burrow, the skin sheds easier.
Young brahminy blind snakes are very much identical to the adults, but are even smaller. A baby blind snake is only about two inches long.
The brahminy blind snake must have moisture in the soil that it burrows to survive. If it does not have this moisture, it will eventually dry up. For this reason, brahminy blind snakes seek out odd places to burrow at times. They are not shy about taking up residence in your potted plants, and will be happy to make an appearance when you least expect it.
So what does the brahminy blind snake eat? Because of itís tiny size, the brahminy primarily eats termites, insect larvae, and tiny tiny insects.
The brahminy blind snake was originally Asian, but ended up prominent in the United States along the way. They prefer warm, tropical locales, and so they are found in Florida in large numbers. The also are found in Mexico and Hawaii as well. Most herpetologists agree that they found their way around the world via the potted plants that are shipped around. Whatever the case, they have become a fairly wide spread species of snake.

LinkBack