The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Herpele squalostoma. We have worm sign.

This is a discussion on Herpele squalostoma. We have worm sign. within the Gymnophiona: Caecilians forums, part of the Other Amphibians category; I recently acquired a Congo caecilian ; and I wanted to share. I purchased a heavy-duty 40 quart Hefty plastic ...

Gymnophiona: Caecilians For the discussion of Caecilians (also known as "Eels").

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Methos5K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Methos5K has shown reliable knowledgeMethos5K has shown reliable knowledge
Default Herpele squalostoma. We have worm sign.

I recently acquired a Congo caecilian; and I wanted to share. I purchased a heavy-duty 40 quart Hefty plastic storage bin with latching lid. I drilled 7 holes (3/8") just under the lip of the lid horizontally on the longer sides of the container. A piece of fine window mesh was taped over these with duct tape. I attached a medium sized Zilla heat mat to the outside bottom of the bin; then plugged that into a Zilla habitat thermostat. Temperature is set to 82F. The inside of the bin is filled with a 5" deep layer of CareFresh Pet Bedding. It is heavily moistened with treated tap water; but not so much as it is water logged. The top is covered with a layer of cork bark flats. The caecilian is young; about 7" long and thick as a pencil. I sort out the smaller of bait-shop purchased Red Wigglers and put them in every two weeks.

Old 21st July 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ignatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Herpele squalostoma. We have worm sign.

How is the animal doing? Have you heard of anybody ever breeding these successfully? Where did you get it? Thanks!

ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack