The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cohabitation of typhlo natans

This is a discussion on Cohabitation of typhlo natans within the Gymnophiona: Caecilians forums, part of the Other Amphibians category; Hello, I have a large adulte typhlonectes of unknown gender. He/she is about 25 inches long (at least). I have ...

Gymnophiona: Caecilians For the discussion of Caecilians (also known as "Eels").

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SwissAxie has started on the right path
Default Cohabitation of typhlo natans

Hello,

I have a large adulte typhlonectes of unknown gender. He/she is about 25 inches long (at least).
I have now succeded in getting two smaller ones, brothers/sisters, whatever. They are about half the size or even smaller.

I have a 240L tank (120x40cm that is 47x15 inches). Can I put these three guys together without a risk of agression by the big one on the smaller ones or should I keep them separated ? The big one has lived alone for a while but used to be together with his/her siblings a until a few years ago).

Thanks for the advice.

SwissAxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chamaeleo has shown reliable knowledgeChamaeleo has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Cohabitation of typhlo natans

Hi,
T. natans is not territorial, so she (based on its size the big one's probably a female, but until I can't see a photo about its cloacal region, I'm not 100% sure) won't be aggressive to the newcomers, but be sure, so clean the tank before you put the smaller ones in it. And they are not cannibalistic: they look for food by chemoreception, so what smells like an other T. natans, that is not food, whatever how small they are. If I was wrong let someone make me correct!

Chamaeleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hey,

Thanks for the answer.
I know about the cloacal region... but I never could figure it out. I do guess its a female, but I don't have a picture for you. I will try to get one when I transfer the animal one of these days...

Old 25th May 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: micstarz has given good advice and informationmicstarz has given good advice and informationmicstarz has given good advice and information

I think it would work...but I'd personally keep the younger pair separately for a quarantine period beforehand, if they are newly acquired they may have to get used to being in captivity and may carry pathogens that your older resident caecelian hasnt been exposed to...

micstarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hey,

In the meantime, my three Tyhlo natans have been peacefully living together for several months. Indeed, no trouble occurred, just as Chamaeleo suggested. Thanks.

As for the sexing of them : The big one is a male, and the smaller ones are one male and one female. I could figure that out finally after I found a website with nice and clear pictures.

Now I'll be waiting for a few years hoping they'll reproduce :)

Barbara

Old 25th May 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: micstarz has given good advice and informationmicstarz has given good advice and informationmicstarz has given good advice and information

Sorry! Didn't realize that I'd dug up an old thread!

micstarz is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack